NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Tax?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Tax?
    Posted: February-09-2007 at 7:37pm
Someone told me that if you buy gas at a station off the water and put in your boat, you can deduct / claim the gas tax on your income tax? Any true to this? Any one know anything about this?
Andy

'83 2001
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 8:20pm
Furno,

It depends upon the state. In Virginia, for instance, you can. In California, you cannot. In some states you deduct off your tax filings. In others, you submit a separate request for reimbursement. You will need to check the laws of the state in which you live.

The basis is that most states charge a highway or road improvement tax on each gallon of gas. If you don't use the gasoline on the highway, then you should not have to pay the tax. Interestingly, marinas may not be paying the tax, yet few if any pa$$ along the savings to the boater.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:02pm
wouldn't that be the same for gas that is used in anything not operated on the road? Snowmobile, lawn mower, dirt bikes, atvs, generators. How do you prove you didn't use it in your car though?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

wouldn't that be the same for gas that is used in anything not operated on the road? Snowmobile, lawn mower, dirt bikes, atvs, generators. How do you prove you didn't use it in your car though?

Yes, that's true. In some states you can deduct for gas used in your jeep while offroad and not on a highway. Some states require receipts. Some limit the amount you may deduct, etc. Again, you need to check the laws in the state in which you live. You can do a search on Planetnautique.com. About 8 or 9 months ago there was a thread where some guys posted the procedures to follow in their states. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 10:28pm
Holy crap! I have never heard of this. Sounds like a good research project for my 9 year old. Maybe he can help me keep fewer dollars going to the government to fund no-bid contracts to contractors that do crappy work.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 10:15am
does anyone know the laws on off highway diesel fuel in boats? its usually $1.00 cheaper, I really dont know the laws but have used it in the past
"the things you own will start to own you"
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 3:55pm
   One of my customers does that in NH.He has the cash register attendent sign the reciept and write "off road use"on it .He does this for the gas he puts in everything with the exception of his truck,and at the end of the year the savings is substantial...but he buys alot of gas.He tells me he's never had one of his slips questioned at redemption.I believe he files them with the state and they send him a check.The opposite is why it is Illegal to use "off road"diesel in an on road vehicle-no road tax included in price(hefty fine for truck drivers.)

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
resorter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2007 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

does anyone know the laws on off highway diesel fuel in boats? its usually $1.00 cheaper, I really dont know the laws but have used it in the past

I know that in Florida using off highway diesel in a boat is acceptable. There are a number of fuel distributors in my area that bring a small tanker truck to your residence and fuel up your boat with off road diesel right at your own seawall. Although, with the new low sulpher PPM rules, who knows how much longer this will be okay and I'm willing to bet that it's use is a definite no-no in the state of California.
Southwind 20
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 7:01pm
Eric, here it is called "farm diesel" and it has a red dye ,that will leave a tattle tale red stain in and around your fuel filler. Dont get caught here using it in your road vehicle, BIG FINE.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 7:08pm
michigan has same fuel boat doc, with dye and all. We call it farm fuel or off-road fuel, depending on the area your in. But fines here are based on how much you can cary not how much is in the tank when you get caught. The dye itself last for I think about five tank fulls after you use it. That's to deter people from using it every other tank full. The more you use it the longer the dye lasts.
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 9:09pm
87BFN - I'm in michigan also and thought just the diesel was red. Is farm use gas red also? I did a little research and in michigan I don't think you can get a gas tax refund for gas used in boats or ORV's.

btw - the thread on your boat repairs is great. I was surprised to see a 87 with so much damage. I've got a 83 and I'm starting to wonder if I've got problems also.
Andy

'83 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 9:19pm
A good site discussing the fuel tax refund. Includes the procedures for 10 states that allow the refund.

Gas Tax rebates

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 4:19pm
furno yes just the diesel is dyed as far as I know. They don't dye the farm gas because it is usually only like 86 octane which most cars wont run very well on. Atleast all the farmers I know, that's the octane rating they get. There pulling tractor runs on alcohol.

Plus I think they still pay some road tax on the gas they by just not as much. But I could be wrong on that never asked about the gas.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic