Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fibergla$$ repair work on ’87 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
illkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fibergla$$ repair work on ’87 2001
    Posted: February-03-2007 at 1:15am
Hey guys, first post here. I posted a question on 2001.com and was hoping for some input from you guys as well. I have an '87 2001 that had the prop, shaft, strut and rudder ripped off by the previous owner. He had all the fibergla$$ work done and I bought it off him with all brand new parts to re-install. My question is, how tight are the tolerances in reinstalling the shaft strut? I think I can mount the strut my self then have someone more qualified and with the right tools adjust the shims for me. What do you think? Is this something I should pay someone to do? Or is this a pretty straight forward operation? Here is the link to the original post... http://the2001.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=468

Thanks guys
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 7:05am
Pay someone, dont trip over a dollar to pick up a nickle, alignment is very critical on a boat, it is time consuming and tedious and requires practice if you are going into it blind.
alignment takes 10 minutes or 10 hours. if you attempt yourself read up on it first and get input from this site if you have questions.
welcome to the site
"the things you own will start to own you"
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 4:40pm
illkid.....note Eric's signature line (not to mention the volumes of useful information he has posted on this site). He knows his stuff. If that was my boat, I would be calling around to find an expert that has 10 minutes to spare. Good luck! I hope it turns out great.

-JMurph
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 5:54pm
illkid
I think you should let a pro do it.Mis-aline it and you will damage the trans ,strut & prop shaft. Look throu the reference section.I think I remember eric saying the prop shaft needs to be within .003in and he always shoots for.000 in alinement. I've looked everywhere for my .000 in feeler gauge, but I don't know where the hell I put it!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 6:29pm
Waterdog,Remember all those adds about brain damage,don't know about you, but I must have killed a lot of them. My Mom called it CRS and it is the beginning of the end.Can't Remember Shi???.
Can recall dates and times of 30 yrs. ago, but can't find my gla$$es, go figure.
Youth is wasted on the young....
When i find my gla$$es i will help you look for that feeler guage,.000 is really small...........boat dr
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 10:24am
boat dr
The last time i used it was with the over-size allen wrench - can't find it ether!
illkid -
Seriously ,if your a good mechanic you should think about it - if you don't have much experience - sub out the shaft strut.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

illkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 10:25pm
Thanks a lot guys. I do consider myself a decently accomplished mechanic and this project seems do-able. But you only get one chance to drill. I have been calling around quite a bit and have made a couple of good contacts. I'm going to keep doing research and see where I end up. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic