NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The shine is back!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The shine is back!
    Posted: January-19-2007 at 11:08am
OK here are some before and after pics.

This is a before pic (panoramic, two pics joined)

close up of scratches

close up of faded gel coat

Now the after pics...

looking better...

I can see my reflection!

close up of faded gel coat after Sanding/Buffing

Another close up of faded gel coat after sanding/buffing

I sanded the deep scratches starting with 220 and working up to 1000, sanded the entire gel coat with 600 then 1000 then buffed with this stuff

I tried some rubbing compound that I bought, but the 3m stuff worked better, I used a high speed buffer I bought at Harbor Freight for $29.00 with a 4 layer wool pad keeping it clean with a buffing spur. (first time I have ever used a buffer of any kind!)

I still have to apply a coat of wax, but thought it would be best to wait until after I put the top red strip back on. I wasn't planing on replacing the bottom strip, it's not that bad. I'm up in the air on replacing the letters this year, letters are expensive and I don't know if I trust myself putting them on. May wait until next year, I don't know.

Alright give me some feedback, How am I doing, what should I do next, what am I doing wrong...
where can I get new letters cheap and how hard is it to put them on...

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2007 at 11:19am
I would just rock it as is for the first season. I would hate to see you put all that effort into the finish if the rest of the boat didn't last!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2007 at 11:58am
Randy, the shine looks good!

I have a hard time believing that the fibergla$$ restorer/wax would remove 1000 grit scratches, though. I bet if you compounded and then polished, the shine would be deeper and last longer.

Before you apply the new pinstriping or decals, wash the boat good with dish soap or wipe down the gel with acetone. You dont want any wax under the stickers. Wax should be the last protective layer you put on.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2007 at 12:48pm
Tim,

I bought PDP PL20 Ultracut from Ohio Auto Supply the Ultracut is supposed to remove 600 grit scratches, but when I felt the 3M stuff between my fingers it was more course than the ultracut. Actually, I hit it with the compound after sanding with 600 and it shined, but then I went back and sanded with 1000 and hit it wit the 3M thats when it really shined! on the upper rails and stern I hit it with 600 then 1000 then the 3m, seemed to look just as good without the compound.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2007 at 9:26pm
Very nice job. Boy I bet you are glad your buddy let this boat go!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2007 at 10:26pm
Randy...what color pin stripe are you going to use? When you are done with the buff job you need to use (3M-SWIRL REMOVER) before you do your top coat! It looks great keep up the good work..
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2007 at 12:53am
jbear- thanks, yeah I sure am glad he let it go. Especially for the price he sold it to me for.

MM- I am going to keep the red pinstripe it matches the red strip on the interior, I don't think I'm going to replace the lower strip this year. it's not that bad, sits motley below the water line, and would be a pain to replace since it's two stripes (1/2" and 1/4" with a 1/4" space between) the auto body supply shop up the road has 100' of 3m red 1/2" strip for $20 it looks like it will match.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2007 at 1:27am
Good job Randy. When you buff, do you buff the 3m in and then wipe clean with hand towel, or buff in and switch out pads and buff out?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2007 at 1:46am
Whats up Dude?

I apply the 3m with damp sponge covered with terry cloth applicator (somewhat heavy) then buff at high speed with the wool pad. I clean the pad out with the spur and then hit it again lightly. finally I wipe it clean with a towel.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how it is coming, I think once I get it done it's going to look nice. I think I will take Hollywoods advice and wait till next year to do the lettering and decals. see how it holds up first.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2007 at 9:23am
I try not to clean the pad to often because you waste compound, I clean it on the final pa$$ or when im using a polish. the 3m stuff is good but I use a mcguiers non abrasive. it chemically removes the scratches twice as quick. We experimented with 20 different compounds and that seems to work the best. believe me the guys that work for us dont want to work any harder then they have to. I did a red boat and buzzed through it in about 2 hours, I'll post exactly what it is. Randy, there is a guy by me that can print anything on vinyl, he has a printer which i didnt believe cost him 250K. He took a snapshot of a bird on a limb and printed it on his layered office door and its hard to believe, but he does alot of vinyl work for me and is relatively inexpensive.it will print an exact copy of what you have or you can deviate. let me know if you are interested
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2007 at 11:21am
Eric, How much do you think it would cost to get the "SPORT NAUTIQUE" on both sides, reprinted? How does he match it up? Do I have to peel off a sample to give him or can he get the templates? actually, if you look closely now, you can tell certain letters have been replaced before. I confirmed this with the previous owner.

let us know what Mcquiers you use.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic