Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what do I look for

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Robert F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what do I look for
    Posted: January-12-2007 at 6:21pm
I am going to look at a used 93 Sport Nautique with 700 hours. What things should I look for.
93 Sport Nautique
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 9:36pm
I bought my 87 SN from a dealer. He recently upholstered the boat and installed new carpet. There was also fresh paint in the bilge. Looked great.

Under the new uholstery was rotten wood, soaked foam, and rusting non-stainless steel staples. Under the nice new carpet the floor was coming apart from the hull and the foam was soaked. Under that shiny new bilge paint was rotten stringers.

Found out from one of the employees, after I bought the boat, that it had been sitting on the lot, uncovered, for a year after the dealership took it on a trade. It never sold so the guy that owned the place successfully hid the problems.

I say start with the boat history. Who had it?   How did they use it, on a course; private lakes only; the ocean? Where was it stored? How was it cared for? Does it have a title? How many hours? If they cannot answer those questions and what you see doesn't match then dont buy that one.

Look under it for damage. Check the fins, strut, and rudder. Pull out the coushions and check the seat backs. Check for rotting stringers, soft spots on the floor.

Definately put it on the water for a test drive. See that all the guages work, work the gears and throttle while looking and listening for problems.

There are plenty of things to look out for. Once everybody else adds their comments, make a checklist. Prioritize the list and take it with you when you look at a boat.

Good luck.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 9:38pm
RobertF
    Welcome to CCF this is a GREAT SITE (Thank You Keith) Look in the referance section here & ask questions. Everyone here loves these boats. On the planet nautique site theres a pre-purchase check list 92 and earlier it will give you some idea of what to look for, wish I had it before I bought mine. If it's a northern boat make sure it has ALWAYS been winterized correctly ( I know I bought mine from a LIAR the block was broken from freezing),test drive it for smooth idle & ripping acceleration. clear engine (no leaks) talk to the previous owner about what he would fix if he keep it. Welcome and Good Luck !
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 11:06pm
Robert F, no time to answer, I'll get back to you tomorrow. Skibum and Waterdog raise some good points. However, with a 93, you should not have the rotting issues that Ski bum describes. 93 was the first year the CC used composite stringers. There is no wood in the stringer system. See the checklist that Waterdog refers to on Planetnautique. It is quite good. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Robert F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 12:32am
Thank you for your information (SkiBum) and (Waterdog).
I have talked to the original owner. Service was performed by him. He did not want anyone else to do the service.
The boat has only been in fresh water. (lakes and delta )
Oil changed regulary in the engine. The transmission every other year.
He also flushed out the raw water system after being in delta.(brackish water)
The boat never has been run aground.
The bow has lost some of the gelcote from beaching.
After sitting for one month the transmission does have a small amount of oil leaking out the rear seal.

93 Sport Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 2:15am
Robert,

Is this the light blue Sport Nautique in Sunnyvale, CA??? If so, the boat looks good in the photos. The weather here is not bad - I'd say take it for a drive before you buy. Delta is only an hour away. Resevoirs in Gilroy are about the same distance.

If the guy is telling you he did extra flushing after having it in the Delta, then he is probably pretty anal in taking care of the boat. Fact is, you have to go nearly to Pittsburg before you get into brackish water. Almost no one ever takes a ski boat that far down the delta toward the bay.

If this is the boat in Sunnyvale, and you are still unsure, I'm happy to meet you and take a look at the boat. I'll be out of town a few days, but back by next weekend. BKH
Livin' the Dream

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 8:47am
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

See the checklist that Waterdog refers to on Planetnautique. It is quite good. BKH

I wrote that checklist a while back and I sure have learned a thing or two since then. I should send a revised copy as I don't think it's that great anymore!
Robert F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 12:45pm
bkhallpa$$ and M3Fan
Thankyou for your replies. I will take it for a sea trial. I would also be intrested in your revised checklist.
93 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic