Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cap and Rotor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cap and Rotor
    Posted: December-02-2006 at 5:39pm
Is it hard to install a new cap and rotor? In a 1998 GT-40. Anything I have to be careful of?
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2006 at 3:38pm
Hmmm....I have a lot to learn. I didn't think there was a cap and rotor on efi engines.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2006 at 4:01pm
The TBI motor used the Protec system so it didnt have a traditional distributor. I dont think they ever used the Protec with the GT40 though.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2006 at 4:20pm
Dude, on cars there are caps and rotors efi engines. In 1975, Datsun put port fuel injection on the Z cars, an injector for each cylinder and it has a distributor. Toyota started efi on the 22re engine in 1984 and it has a distributor.
Tim D
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2006 at 5:01pm
Yep, cap and rotor on the GT40 EFI. Once the engine is running, spark timing is controlled by dynamically altering the activation of the primary circuit on the coil. There is no advance on the GT40 distributor of any kind. It is also used as a crankshaft position sensor. The only "mechanical" timing on the engine is seen during cranking the motor while starting.
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2006 at 5:02pm
Vince at SKidim said to change the distributor cap and rotor?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2006 at 5:10pm
As far as what to be careful of, if you are not really familiar with engines I would label every wire on the cap before you take anything apart. Number the wires (with masking tape and a Sharpie) 1-8 going clockwise to from the top and put them back the same way on the new cap. Take a digital picture of the old cap with the wires still on it before you take everything apart for reference in case you need to see where anything goes.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2006 at 7:24pm
still learning... I like how gentle you guys are with me instead of calling me an idiot.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic