Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exahust Manifolds

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bdl1533 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdl1533 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exahust Manifolds
    Posted: November-17-2006 at 8:57am
I have a 1970 16' Mustang with a Holman and Moody 302. The issue here is that the aluminum headers are leaking at the end caps. It is nearly impossible to get the caps off and the bolts out, Much less making new gaskets.
Does anyone know any tricks in the repair of these, or where I can go to get "new" ones or replacements.
I can provide pictures of these if that would help
Thanks
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 1:11pm
Are they this style?
Tim D
bdl1533 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdl1533 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 7:21pm
Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I can only wish that mine were as nice. Here is a picture of one of the manifolds. They are aluminum and never has been painted.
Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated
Thanks again

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 8:52pm
Those are the Interceptor "log" manifolds. That kind is on my Mustang.

I had to take mine apart last year to get broken impellor pieces out. I only took the front off. All the bolts came out but one, it broke. I took it to a machine shop and the guy welded a nut to it and got it out. I went to NAPA and got a sheet of gasket material that you cut, and it has adhesive on one side. From what I could tell, mine had never been apart since 1966. I had to pry it apart even after getting the bolts out. The original gasket was like paper and metal combination. I cut mine out with an X-Acto knife. This is the shape of the gasket behind the front plate, which splits the water and sends it down the inside of each wall of the manifold.
Tim D
bdl1533 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdl1533 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 9:03pm
Thanks Greatly appreciated. I guess there is hope then.
I will need to take both end caps off, and most of the bolts have broken off. I have only gotten the front caps off so far. Then just alot of work trying to drill and then tap them out. Make some nice work for the winter. The gasket is exactly what mine looks like. Mine also is a metal and paper mix.
Again thanks again. Grealy appreciated. Now I got my work cut out for me.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 9:31pm
I've had good luck with this set from Sears. You drill a hole in the bolt in reverse, then screw the tappered collar down in the hole and turn it out with a wrench. Give it a good soaking with PB Blaster also.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic