Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dumb question of the day

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dumb question of the day
    Posted: April-26-2024 at 2:57pm
Alright, it’s time for our daily feature “dumb question of the day”. So here goes (and take it easy on me lol).

We’ve owned a 1992 Sport Nautique for many years. It sits on a stock CC single axle trailer.

The guide poles have always had a home-made cap thing on the top to prevent the guide pole covers from floating up and off (I assume). The pads/covers are VERY loose on the poles.

I’ve ordered replacement pads from Nautique Parts. I’ll have to knock those weird caps off the top to slide the new ones on. The new ones are closed at the top.

So here’s the (dumb) question. Are the pads supposed to just float up when you submerge the trailer for launch/recovery? My boat fits relatively snugly between them. Am I going to be fighting the stupid things every time I launch and recover?

On another post, someone said there is a drain hole in the guide pole somewhere (I haven’t looked at mine—-boat is a couple hours away). My poles curve at the bottom, 90 degrees, and attach to the trailer. I just redid all that hardware and don’t recall seeing any drain holes, nor am I sure what that has to do with the pads floating but what do I know? I fly airplanes. lol

I saw on another post (yes I searched here first) that someone suggested using silicone to hold the pads onto the posts. Not sure I want to do that, as it’d be a real pain if I have to replace them again.

Thoughts? Thanks! Fire away!

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2024 at 9:56am

The covers should be able to slip right over those caps without any problems.

The covers will stay on when you put the boat into the water. And yes the pole guild covers will float up but they will not come off on the poles. The covers will turn around when unloading or loading the boat back on the trailer because the boat will rub up against them. So, there is no way glue them on to velcro them onto the pole. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2024 at 10:16am
Thanks!  The caps on the poles have large washers underneath them to prevent the pads from coming up past the top of the pole.  So once I remove them to put the new pads/covers on, they’ll be able to slide up.  Sounds like that’s just normal as the trailer is submerged and they’ll fall back down after it’s pulled out of the water.  

Thanks for the reply! 🙌🏻
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2024 at 11:49am

Large washer?  Well, that sounds like what I did to my poles over the weekend. The large plastic washer for me is to keep the covers from floating up in order to protect the boat when loading and unloading.  Made mine a smaller size to fit inside the covers after I lock zip tie close to keep them from floating up. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2024 at 11:57am
Yeah my setup is a large washer with a cap pressed onto the top of the pole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2024 at 12:03pm
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2024 at 12:21pm
My trailer is a tandem, DHM I believe.   The guide poles plastic tubes and cover float up when I launch and recover the boat at the launch.   I think it is designed that way to help load the boat.  On steep ramps they float up and help you spot the trailer.   I think the design is good and helps.

On this trailer there is a metal welded guide pole covered by a 2” plastic pipe which fits loosely on the metal pole, allows it to spin or float as needed.   The bumper guard slides over the 2” plastic pipe so it floats up and down with the plastic 2” guide.

The only negative I have experienced, a passenger tried to help out as we were driving the boat on to our trailer, the boat came in a little crooked so the passenger reached out and grabbed the half floating guide pole and pulled hard enough to snap it, it broke about 12” from the top.   This plastic tube is not the exact size as standard plastic water pipes, it is thinner walled  and the ID size was larger than the 2” sold at the hardware store.   I ended up glueing and taping the broken old plastic, flipped it over and reinstalled so the fracture is at the bottom and hidden by the pad.  It is still in place and working several years later.
Maybe someone knows what this guide pole plastic pipe part is in case we need replacements?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic