Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To wrap or not to wrap

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To wrap or not to wrap
    Posted: March-29-2024 at 10:35am
I knew this would get your attention! Getting ready for the new season I am installing some brass quick drains on the engine block as well as in installing my engine oil pressure sensor. Question: Should I put any thread sealer or Teflon tape on the threads as I install each of those? Hope everybody here has a Happy Easter!

Otto
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 11:34am
NO do NOT wrap the Boat!  One Wraps gifts, pipes, and your Johnson. That's it!! NOT Boats!Wink

Secondly, The previous owner of my 99 SN put Petcock drains in everything and used Teflon tape. No leaks that I've seen in the 2 years that I've had it. They've come in very handy in November/December when we're still skiing but yet have some 30'F temps for a day or two. Teflon tape is rated from -450'F to 500'F so I'd say your good. 
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 12:17pm
The wrap won’t hurt anything at all but I do not see any need for it.  The boat has a constant supply of fresh cooling water.  There is no internal water pressure, lots of flow but near zero pressure in the open system so they do not leak.

In an open cooling system the plugs do not need to be super tight, just tighten them till snug, you will be pulling them out again at season end to drain.   The plugs seal on the peaks of the threads, when you over tighten them you crush the peaks on the threads making it harder to seal in the future.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 1:08pm
I guess my title to my thread was a little misleading I meant, rather to wrap the threads with Teflon tape or not to wrap! I would never wrap my boat she sexy, just the way she is from the factory. I was just curious about the drain fittings and the oil pressure sensor. I didn’t know what people did, so I thought I would solicit ideas! It sounds like it won’t hurt! I’ve heard that one before!
Otto
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 2:33pm
Actually you bring up interesting point
I always wondered about anti seize on plugs and thread seal on sensors , dielectric in distributors, other electric items
Does electric current travel properly thru goops
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 2:34pm
Happy Easter !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 3:42pm
I love dielectric!   I use that on more stuff!

Permatex high temp thread sealant was also suggested….

I guess the sensor threads is the most problematic… since it actually does something!
Otto
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 6:15pm
No tapes or goops on sensors/senders, they usually require a good path to ground.

Anything else in the water passage is fine. Hopefully your quick drains allow you to probe for sediment… have seen many, many drains plugged up with sediment that would have held water if not cleaned out.
Gski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 8:51pm
Having a lot of experience with hydraulics and chemical refining I prefer to us Teflon tape or liquid sealant on connections . That being said if you use them use good sense and don’t over wrap or over tighten so as not to crack or stretch treads on what ever you are doing.  Also if they do leak I’m assuming you have a working bilge pump . So a small leak is no problem.
Gski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2024 at 8:52pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2024 at 10:42am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

No tapes or goops on sensors/senders, they usually require a good path to ground.

Anything else in the water passage is fine. Hopefully your quick drains allow you to probe for sediment… have seen many, many drains plugged up with sediment that would have held water if not cleaned out.

In pipe threads like we're talking about here, you still get that good path to ground with tape or a sealant. The metal threads still make metal to metal contact with no effect on the resistance to ground.

It's pretty easy to demonstrate it to yourself with a multimeter, some goop, some tape and a few fittings 

So.....wrap away on that oil switch also Otto.............and quit milking the switch job from last fall  Wink
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2024 at 11:24am
I recently did exactly the kind of testing Ken is referring to here when I replaced my temperature sender, and can confirm that tape/sealant made almost no difference to the resistance of the fittings to ground.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2024 at 12:09pm
Damn Keno…. Nothing gets buy you!   I have everything all set out… waiting to bring the boat home from storage….I will be doing my best Indy pit stop imitation!

However, that being said, I did get to go on a tour of the Nautique factory in February https://correctcraftfan.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif
Otto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic