Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1988 SN replacement prop question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Splitrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splitrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1988 SN replacement prop question
    Posted: March-05-2024 at 5:41pm
hi, I would like to get a new prop for a 1988 Ski Nautique. Currently I have the original 13x13 (OJ?) which I would like to keep as a spare. 

I have been told I will get improved performance with a new prop - either a 3 blade or 4 blade. Been told the new 3 blade props are CNC and provide superior performance with greater surface areas. Also have been told that 4 blades have greater bite for better acceleration. 

My application is exclusively slalom water skiing (no tower on boat) - what suggestions do you all have? 

Thanks!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2024 at 7:09pm
I never had a boat appropriate for this prop, but for years and years I have read on here that an Acme 540 (13 x 12) is the go to prop for that boat.  Everyone who has switched to it says it is a night and day difference.  This is the best price I found, but you might find better.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2024 at 5:37am
The original prop on the 88' was a Federal and Larry is correct in suggesting the Acme 540 for Slalom. I promise you that you won't be disappointed. The grin on your face the first you drive it after the upgrade couldn't be removed with a 2 x 4. TRBenj is our local CCFan  ACME Dealer so reach out to him to see if he can you the best bang for your buck. Let us know the results and thoughts when you upgrade.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2024 at 11:41am
Most 87-88 SN’s I’ve collected data from would do better with a 542.

Delta prop is probably your best source.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2024 at 1:16pm
Copied this from my post back in 2011 sfter I installed a 540 on my 88' SN.  I have a 542 on it now as my neighbor gave it to me when he upraded his 88' to a 06' and I dinged up my 540. 

WOW! Holy cow what a difference the 540 made on the boat. It's just as everyone has described here as the hole shot was incredible. The bow came up about half as much as it did with the Federal 13x13 and it was allot smoother. The boat seemed to handle more solidly and with just me and a 100lbs of weight on the observer side to balance it out she seemed to turn more solidly with less cavitation of the prop in high speed quick turns. I did (as expected) lose a little top end but it's rare that I throw the hammer down and run full throttle so that doesn't bother me. I did forget my notepad in the truck but took some snaps with my phone and recorded a few readings. It was money well spent and I too am looking forward to the first chance I have to ski and wakeboard behind her. Merry Christmas to me! 
This is on a stock 351 with pointless ignition with 890 hrs on her using a GPS for velocity. Weather conditons weren't ideal with a little breeze blowing. The water wasn't glass but if I were skiing I would have been all over it.

2200 - 22.2mph
2400 - 25.4mph
2650 - 28.3mph
3200 - 34.8mph
3550 - 38.1mph
3800 - 40.3mph
4600 - 43.5mph

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2024 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Copied this from my post back in 2011 sfter I installed a 540 on my 88' SN.  I have a 542 on it now as my neighbor gave it to me when he upraded his 88' to a 06' and I dinged up my 540.

How do the 540 and 542 compare? I always thought 542 is the go-to for wakeboarding, not so much for slalom skiing?
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2024 at 4:10pm
Hole shot is better on the 542 as it has a 11.5 pitch and the 540 has a 12.0 pitch. You'll lose a little more top end speed with the 42 but gain it in the hole shot. I like em both on the 88' and since I'm primarily slalom skiing anywhere between 30-34mph. I'm okay with either one.
Splitrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splitrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2024 at 4:55pm
Thank guys!

Curious that for low wake applications, no one has suggested the Acme 430 (as recommended by https://acmemarine.com/pages/custom-fit) - or does the enlarged surface area of the 13x12 CNC blade compensate for the old school 13x13 configuration?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2024 at 5:46pm
Here's a link to some Acme 430 reading here on CCF

And here's a link to your old thread about transmission fluid/hydraulic oil

It never really got an ending posted, so how about some kind of update/resolution/ thread closure Wink

Splitrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splitrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2024 at 9:32pm
Thanks Keno. I saw from my previous searches the thread on the new Acme 430 Prop Report. Good info, however I am not interested in achieving top speed or experimenting with different cup sizes. Unless we are talking women Wink

My preference is for a prop designed to pull one slalom skier (less than 200 lbs) behind a minimally loaded stock 1988 SN at 600 ft above sea level. Not into bare-footing so speed is not a top priority. Ideally I would like a rpm/speed ratio of 1/1 as I drive by tach Tongue 

And the quest for transmission fluid/hydraulic oil was achieved! Link below. Thanks for the reminder!

Splitrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splitrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2024 at 9:43pm
Many thanks Morfoot. I came across your post from an earlier search. Great stuff I really appreciate the details!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2024 at 6:30am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

4600 - 43.5mph

Have you ever verified the accuracy of your tach? Every prop and hull can have slight variations but those wot numbers would be inconsistent with the 2001’s I’ve tested. The boats able to pull a 540 4600rpm have run 45-46 (usually the earlier boats). The lower top speed in the 87-88 is consistent with what I’ve seen (sub-44) but usually aligns with a rpm below 4400. Hence my recommendation on the 542, which should raise rpm by ~150. If a 540 is holding revs below 4400 then the 542 should have a higher top end speed of the 2. (And slightly better holeshot, as you mention.)

430 is not a good choice even for the lighter 2gens with the 351w, imo- too much prop, especially for a 2001, and a later/slower one at that. The 474 would be a consideration on a faster hull. The 430 has proven to work well when mated to engines with a few more cubes- like stroker small blocks (383/393/408) or stock big blocks (especially in a slower hull like a 2001 or later dd bfn).
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2024 at 9:08am
Well look at all this advice and discussion

Since you liked my advice on the transmission fluid, I figured I'd give you some more advice and tell you to listen to the advice in this thread and not Acme's advice

Originally posted by Splitrock Splitrock wrote:

b) Keno's suggestion to see 67 ski nat's suggestion referencing Keno's suggestion of Jonny recommendation to follow Keno

Results are great! Now looking for a new prop Wink

Nobody here on CCF is on board with a 430, it'll lug your engine too much..

You haven't mentioned any speed/RPM numbers for your boat, but the 87/88/89 hulls with the driver and passenger moved forward were a little slower like TRB said.

So......I think the best advice would be to take my advice to take the advice of the people who's advice was to use a 540 or a 542 Wink

People can argue about it but you're gonna be happy with either one and with either one you'll end up with a new higher RPM number for your skiing speed, with that number being a little higher with the 542.

Morfoot is a good example, he's been happy with both on his boat

And..........when you get your first look, you're gonna say "Look at the size of those big beautifully shaped things" and want to run your hands all over them.......The propeller blades that is Wink

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2024 at 9:47am
You're overthinking ed
acme 12 is the new 13.   acme 540/541 is still 1mph/100rpm.
430 will be like putting an historically 14p prop on, <gak>
You are being given insight that your specific hull needs more rpm, hence the 542 recommendation.
your not going to find better advice.
Don't fear a touch more rpm. its not going to use more gas nor hurt the engine. Same work has to get done. btu's in, work out.
your cruise vacuum will go up and throttle position slightly less to compensate for more power pulses/distance.
A 30 dollar GPS bike speedometer and a swatch of velcro can give you .1mph resolution. 

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic