NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Somebody bought himself a new boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Somebody bought himself a new boat
    Posted: November-30-2023 at 7:19am
Well, ..............new is a relative term

Around here a 20 year old boat is kinda cutting edge technology Wink

He got himself a boat that doesn't have a carburetor or a distributor

I figure he'll be along to post some pictures etc. before too long.

I think he had to borrow a tow vehicle that would handle getting the new boat home.

Meanwhile, I think he should go on a quest to find himself an old project boat that might need a Quick Fuel carburetor and a DUI distributor 

I'm not sure, but I think I gave enough hints about who it might be.Wink
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 9:18am
if i guess the name would i be considered "Johnny" on the spot?Wink
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 9:51am
TEAM  RED SCORES

A new stallion comes to the Quest Ranch:

2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

The Good:
PCM ZR6 power
Fresh water cooling
FC Tower
PP
Heater
450 hours
Absolutely mint condition (dude was serious OCD with this boat)

The Bad:
Faria gauges with the dreaded Gateway box
Pitot speedos
No bow "crash pad" on trailer
No shower with fresh water cooling (I know...First-World problems)

Everything works, but I've been researching all the issues associated with the Gateway box and formulating a plan in case it takes a dump.

This new bad-boy is only 450 pounds heaver than my Bubble-Butt 2001, so the new F-350 Power Stroke may struggle towing in the hills.  Wink

No distributor.  No carburetor.  What's this world coming to?  What's next?  Cordless phones?

JQ
Current

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 11:08am
Great looking boat JQ! I like the double axle trailer too. Safe travels. You’re probably hauling through the mountains right now working the Ford out.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 11:35am
Awesome boat, congrats!  You'll love the extra room and comfort.

So a ZR6 was available in 2003?  Or was it repowered?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 11:38am
Nice find.  Great looking boat.  Funny, on the other boat pages (FB...yuck!!) that is a nice vintage boat.  Over here, that is state of the art modern.  My 96 falls into the same category.  I consider it a "modern" boat.  Others think differently.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 12:24pm
Wow, nice new Toy JQ.   Did not know you were looking to upgrade.   Should give more space for family fun.  Glad you stuck with Team Red!   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 1:15pm
I think 2003 was the first year of the 6.0 for PCM.

I think if I was worried about water in the Gateway box, I'd probably plug those speedometer tubes before they enter the box and replace the speedometers with a couple of GPS units at least as a stop gap measure.

Just to be sure Jonny...............nobody's telling you to go out and buy a RED speedo Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Wow, nice new Toy JQ.   Did not know you were looking to upgrade.   Should give more space for family fun.  Glad you stuck with Team Red!   

Mark:  I wasn't really looking.  I had been thinking recently that a 206 would be a lot more family-friendly, but I didn't start a search in earnest.  I was at a boring function with Mrs. Quest and I got my iPhone out to kill some time.  Just for giggles, I did a search for "Ski Nautique" on our local on-line listings and this boat popped up.  The ZR6 and low hours caught my eye.  After a walk-around and seeing the mint condition and nice upgrades, the decision was easy.  Now I have 2 Ski Nautiques...for a little while anyway.

I really love my little 196 SNOB.   She is a slalom beast.  The GT40 engine is strong and the StarGazer PP is outstanding.  The slalom wakes are some of the best around.  However, with grand-kiddos now at the boating age, the little slalom tug can be a bit of a challenge.  The 196 doesn't have a tower, so nobody sits in the rear seat when someone is skiing.  It's really a 4-person boat.  The open-bow access is a dash board climb-over, so that's not super convenient.  No convenient storage in the little 196.  All First World problems, but there you are.

The new-to-me 206 provides upgrades to several concerns with walk-through open bow access, FC tower, rear storage lockers, more room etc.  The 6.0 Vortec GM engine seems to be bulletproof, not to mention 375 HP, so that's a nice.

I rebuilt the 2-axle trailer that's under the 196, so I wasn't too keen on giving it up.  The 206 has a nice, comparable trailer, so no step backwards there (except for the lack of a real bow stop).

As KENO suggests, my winter project will be removal of the pitot pick-ups and lines feeding the Faria Gateway box.  I'll add 1 GPS speedo and see what the PP needs.  I may give PP a call and get their feedback.  I may need to brush-up on my Canadian first.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2023 at 8:05pm
if you start at page 1.18 in the link, you'll find everything I never wanted to know about your vintage Gateway system.

Since it's your system, you'll probably want to know more about it than I want to  Wink

link

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2023 at 2:51am
TEAM  RED SCORES

Heck yeah!
Congrats on that beautiful boat JQ!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2023 at 6:15am
YES!!!!!! Another FINE addition to Team Red. Nice looking boat JQ. Congrats on the fine. Red is where it's at. Write em' up Red on Land and RED is Right on the Sea. ClapCool
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2023 at 9:09am
Congratulations
Team Red !!
I’m red with jealousy
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2023 at 10:13am
Nice looking rig, yea you can do better with the bow stop.

If it can go wrong on a 206 quinner would know, he’s approaching 20 years with his.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2023 at 1:17pm
Rob, you found a new boat I could certainly live with.  The 6.0L is a very good engine for HP and Torque.  GM used it to replace the 454 and 502 in one ton trucks, it is proven for sure.   
They pull really hard and keep pulling to 6,000 RPM.   The engine design is a major upgrade over the 351W or the 350 GM engines.
The engine has two issues I am aware of, the pistons can rattle on cold start very similar to what forged pistons did in the 1960’s in hot rod 327 engines.  They rattle a little till heat builds and they quiet right down.  GM was still working on piston clearance and some were a little loose.  Does not affect engine life at all and if yours has the cold start rattle ignore it.
The second issue that affects all LS style engines is the Oil Pump Pick up.  GM used an Oring to seal the oil pump pick up tube at the oil pump.  These age and get stiff, when they get stiff it allows the oil pump to suck air on start up and pressure builds slowly.   It is a $3 o ring but to replace them you either pull the timing cover or the oil pan.  Once replaced you are good for many more years.   
I am thinking in a boat the Oring may last years longer than in a car because the boat sees so much less work and heat than a car or truck engine but be aware of the possibility and watch oil pressure on start up if it ever starts priming slowly you have a little work to do.
I look forward to your take on the ski wake and how well it drives.  The 196 always feels like a go cart they handle so well but like you I sure wish I had more room in our boat when I take out the grandkids.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2023 at 4:35pm
Mark:  A friend and member of our waterski club has a 206 -- model year 2006.  I've skied behind his boat several times.  The ski wake at 15 off thru 32 off is a little better in my 196.  However, at 35 off and shorter. the 2 wakes feel the same.  I don't do much serious course skiing any more, but spend most of my time free skiing.  When I'm free skiing, I like to ski at 32 mph and 39.5 off.  At that rope length, the wakes on the 2 boats should be nearly identical.  I really like the short line lengths for the wake shape and the slower speed in crossing.  Unless I'm in the course, I rarely ski at 15 off to 28 off any more as I carry too much speed crossing the wake.  As for my course skiing, I may get 6 at 15 off and 2 or 3 at 22 off occasionally (32 mph) so the boat wake isn't to blame.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2023 at 6:01pm
You free ski at 39.5 off?  That doesn't sound relaxing to me.  But then I'm a hack, ski at 32-34 at 15 off.  One of the challenges of my '98 Sport is that 22 off is the worst, almost un-skiable, so the jump I need to make is from 15 off to 28 off, and honestly I'm just out there having fun and happy I can still hold on to a rope so not sure that's gonna happen.

I skied quite a bit on a friend's 206 and it's not quite the same as my Sport, hard to describe but at the long rope length I actually felt like the lightly loaded Sport had better wakes than the 206.  Wasn't much of a difference, could have been just my being used to one more than the other.  Neither compares to a '97-up Ski Nautique obviously.  At your rope lengths I'm guessing the 206 is quite a bit better than the Sport from what you describle.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2023 at 8:29pm
Rob I was just thinking 22 off is no big deal, i used to hit all 6 at 28 off at 36.  Then reality hit, that was 30 years ago now.  Dang, I had no idea that much time had slipped by.   Today I never ask for 36 any longer, 32 or 34 are plenty fast and I have to work to get up.   I also realized I have not gone shorter than 15 off in at least 20 years.   Sounds like your new Toy has all plus signs and no negatives.  Good Trade!
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2023 at 4:58pm
Congrats JQ! Great looking boat! What are the odds it would also be a perfect match for TEAM RED.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2023 at 6:15pm
Congrats JQ.  We have had our 2004 206 since new; great boat and will be a keeper for ya'.  We disconnected the speedos from the gateway and use the speed off the upgraded PP GPS Speedo.  

The ZR6 motor is awesome.  It uses the platinum tip spark plugs so they SAY they last longer, but don't fall for it.  If the motor acts up at all - like bad gas, it's missing or runs rough AT ALL, replace the plugs and it's all perfect again. This engine is really plug-sensitive (at least ours is). You will also come to love the closed-cooled motor. I didn't expect much benefit from closed-cooling but it's nice and the draining is so easy!  Enjoy!  Thumbs Up
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2023 at 11:03pm
Congrats Johnny! I can't wait for my next Park City trip when the ice melts and pull you around on that beast! 
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2024 at 7:46pm
As I purchased the new-to-me Ski Nautique 206 back in December, I wasn't able to try the boat out or even start up the engine as lakes were frozen and the boat had been winterized.  I admit that it was a bit of a gamble...

Well, today was the maiden voyage of the new Team Red 2, and she did not disappoint!  This is my first experience with the ZR6 engine and, damn, that is one fine piece of Chevrolet engineering.  Let's just say that full-throttle ski starts may dislocate a shoulder or 2 if one is not paying attention.  Even at 4,400 feet of elevation, I could easily bump 5,000 RPMs and that's with an ACME 668 prop (basically a 422 with a bit more cup).  The PerfectPass is a paddle-wheel style and I originally considered swapping it out for a newer GPS "Star Gazer" model.  After today's voyage, I may re-think the PP upgrade and stay with the paddle-wheel.  For what I do now, the PP is more than adequate.  Everything works as it should and we were all smiles and giggles.  

The only down-side from today is that I don't like that there is no bow crash-pad at the front of the trailer.  This trailer is very particular about how far to back-in for proper boat loading.  No worries, though -- she's a KEEPER.

JQ

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2024 at 5:36am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

The PerfectPass is a paddle-wheel style and I originally considered swapping it out for a newer GPS "Star Gazer" model.  After today's voyage, I may re-think the PP upgrade and stay with the paddle-wheel.  For what I do now, the PP is more than adequate.  Everything works as it should and we were all smiles and giggles.

The 99' I bought a couple years ago originally had the paddle wheel installed by the previous owner. They upgraded to the Star Gazer model which I benefitted from. Not sure if the original Paddlewheel model had trick ski mode or not but the GPS model does along with jump (which I don't use) and Wakeboard settings. I've use the Wakeboard and trick skiing modes so I'm glad whomever did the upgrade. Might be something to consider if you've got kids or grands that you might need the other options. 

I'm considering pulling the trigger on the Z-Box upgrade as my neighbors and I are all into skiing the course.  Even converted a Surfer into a Swerver to the point where he bought a 2010 SN 200 and has his Moomba Surf machine on the market. So in our little cove we have ALL 3 196 models plus a 200 to ski behind. If you decide to upgrade to GPS model. Keep the paddlewheel hooked up as you'll still get water temp readings on your display. I found that out on another forum and reconnected the wiring to the "Brain Box". Nice to see the water temp this time of year as water in Lanier is a cool 57'F. Wet suit for sure and a Rick Flair .......Wooooooooooooo when you step off the platform.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2024 at 6:58am
Jonny

I think the technology exists out there to let you put crash pads on the trailer Wink
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2024 at 8:00am
Good to hear!
I concur, if the old paddlewheel system gets glitchy and not trustworthy at all, just get the stargazer upgrade, dont hesitate. 
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2024 at 8:37am
You’re right, Ken…I just gotta figure out a good way to do it .  The Miller Multimatic 215 needs a project to stay happy.  When I get a brain fart and come up with a plan, I’ll run it by the Forum for feedback.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2024 at 10:56am
Great to hear how well the maiden voyage went, had to be exciting to finally get it on the water.  Can't be long before you are out skiing on it.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2024 at 4:30pm
Glad the maiden voyage was such a success JQ, you did much better than I did.  When I bought my Team Red in December without a test drive it failed the first water test with a major vibration.  Had a bent Prop Shaft and Strut, the prop had been rebuilt but not the rest.   I still would have bought it but I could have negotiated the price had I known it needed the repair.   
The GM LS engine is an amazing engine and has proven to be super durable, not that the 351W is not durable but the LS does it while making 100 more horsepower.   
Keep us posted on the ski wake comparison, I know you still like to hit the course.
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic