Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Instrument panel rewiring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
psherwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psherwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Instrument panel rewiring
    Posted: September-17-2023 at 7:21pm
I have erratic readings on my 1986 351 instruments. Temp reading surges from 180 to over 200 when I activate the trim switch and oil pressure goes into wild swings at around 2000 rpm. Could it be heat and oil sensors? Also, temperature jumps up to 200 with rpm going from 2000 to 3200.
'86 Martinique,351 PCM
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2023 at 8:03am
It's probably due to bad degraded wiring connections under the dash on both the supply and ground side of things.

If you do a Google search here on CCF for "dash grounds" you'll come up with a lot of reading

Or click on the link below  Wink

andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2023 at 4:39pm
I rewired my 1986 Silver four or five years ago. New power and ground are a must.  Below (should be) a picture of the rewired dash.  Not too hard to completely remove it from the boat and sit at your kitchen island and rewire it.  Assuming your wife is willing to go along with that type of thing...    You can see the buss bars for the wires on either side of the panel.  I've got pictures of my new grounding wires on the site somewhere.  

Builder
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2023 at 4:49pm
Black ground and red power wires show in the photo, the black is a bit hid behind the red.  Shows where I landed the black on the engine
I don't have a good shot of where the red lands but you can mostly see it.  I think I ran # 10 gauge, probably overkill since I left the old ground and power in place as well.

Builder
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic