NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuse vs Breaker

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1980SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuse vs Breaker
    Posted: September-12-2023 at 1:14pm
While on the water this weekend I had a moment when the boat wouldn't start. Didn't appear to be getting any voltage to the key switch. I got out the multimeter and started measuring and I guess I jiggled something and it started working again. Thanking my good luck and not wanting to chance it, I left it as is and headed back to the dock. It was time to head back anyway and we had been out all day so not really any time on the water lost. But, I am assuming it was a poor connection from the fuse holder terminal to the +12V of the key switch. So I want to replace all the fuse holders, switches, and possibly the key switch to avoid anything like this in the future. 

My question is, would it be beneficial to replace the fuse holders with circuit breakers? There might be 2 problems I can foresee, 1: the holes are not the same size, and 2: the space behind the dash might be a tight fit for the larger circuit breakers in place of the fuse holders. Anyone swap the fuse holders out for the circuit breakers before? Did they fit ok? 

Seems like the circuit breakers are a better option in general just because you can reset them.
1980 SN Project
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2023 at 8:13am
I guess nobody wanted to answer you 

If you're talking about the ETA breakers that CC started using a little later in the 80's , they're a combination breaker and switch, so you'll only need them and no fuses or switches.

That still leaves you with the number of holes in the dash not matching the number of breakers.

A good cleaning of your connections and carrying a selection of extra fuses would probably be a lot easier Wink
1980SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2023 at 9:15am
Thank you KENO. Smile I didn't realize they were switches as well as breakers and I definitley don't want some empty holes in the dash. I went ahead and replaced all the fuse holders as a precautionary measure. I also grabbed some extra fuses just in case, but still need a couple more sizes. Some of them were crumbling as I was taking them apart so it seems like it was a good time to replace them. Thumbs Up
1980 SN Project
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic