Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 harmonic replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
opers13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opers13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 harmonic replacement
    Posted: August-29-2023 at 4:54pm
so either the harmonic or crank pulley are wobbly...after replacing a wobbly harmonic in my wife's Jeep, I'm willing to bet i have a bad harmonic on the 302.  Now...where do I find a replacement?  I just exchanged some emails with CJ Pony Parts..they are recommending the following:

Assuming thats the direct replacement...its a 4 bolt to crank pulley.  I have a 3 bolt pulley so i would have to replace that as well.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance

Maine - 1980 Ski Tique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2023 at 7:14pm
Finding a new direct replacement harmonic balancer is pretty much impossible these days since you have a Reverse Rotation engine.

You can find a Normal Rotation direct replacement with 3 holes for the pulley, but just like the CJ pony parts example you gave, the timing marks are backwards from the ones on yours.

You'd have to redo the timing marks or alternately buy an advance style timing light and then the only mark you would care about would be the 0 (TDC) mark.

An example of the  Normal Rotation 3 bolt balancer  is a Dayco PB1008N and your pulley would bolt right on and the timing marks would be backwards.

Unless you have some drivability issues right now with the wobble, I'd probably finish out your season and then send the balancer you have now to either Damper Dudes or Damper Doctor (both in California and easily found with Google) and let them rebuild what you have

It'll be good as new and have the right non confusing timing marks.

The dude or the doctor would be up to you Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2023 at 11:04pm
Many classic cars have the same issue.  The Damper dude or Damper Dr have a reputation for fixing them just like new.   Many of those number match engines parts are very expensive so you can trust the Damper guys to fix yours the way you want it.   The rubber damper on the harmonic balancer is what fails, they just get old and deteriorate.   Rubber products do not last forever but give the guys a call and you will be good for another 30 years at least.
opers13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opers13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2023 at 8:30am
Thank you both!  I already have an email out to the doctor...yes having it rebuilt makes more sense than adding new parts plus the complexity that comes with it.
Maine - 1980 Ski Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic