NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Batteries AGM vs Acid

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batteries AGM vs Acid
    Posted: August-27-2023 at 9:34am
So I just got my Sport out of storage (yea a little late but better late than never) and while it was in storage I robbed the battery out of it for my 6.0 Super Duty (same batteries)
So I was shopping for a new battery and saw that interstate now makes an AGM Group 65 for about 60 bucks more, $120 vs $183
I see that the CCA of the AGM is a little lower as is the CA and the RC but doesn't state the AH of the 65N. 
   So I'm wondering in a warm environment like the ski boat (where CCA isn't quite as important) are the benefits of the AMG worth the extra coin?

I'm thinking not, just wondering what others that may be more astute on these things think. 

Regular 65N specs.
Item Number1624302
Group Size65
CCA850
CA1000
Voltage12
RC150
Length12 1/16
Width7 1/2
Height7 9/16
Weight46.4
Termination CodeTOP
Wet/DryW
AGM specs
Item Number1624805
Group Size65 AGM
CCA750
CA935
Voltage12
RC120
Ah68
Length12 1/16
Width7 9/16
Height7 7/16
Weight45
Termination CodeTOP
Wet/DryD

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2023 at 12:56pm
I'm thinkin" like you're thinkin"  ......   lead acid.

I have to go see what astute means now Wink
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2023 at 2:38pm
I have been using Odyssey PC925 AGM batteries since 2004 in 2 vintage race cars (525 h.p Ford small blocks) a LeMons car (400 h.p Ford small block), a '94 Ski Nautique and a '64 Dunphy. 
They are small, compact, light weight (@26#) and have never failed.....so far
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2023 at 4:46pm
With the Mustang I always cycled my car battery to the boat every few years. Always worked well until the year I shorted out a plate and got stuck at a GL reunion in '12. Started buying Optima's after JoeinNY came to my rescue and he was using them. Added 2 more to the fleet but that original one is still going. All the newer european cars have them in now as well,just changed out my cars 8 year old one. No matter what battery's I have I do keep them on maintainers when not in use
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2023 at 5:35pm
I like the cheapest group 65 I can find. Typically at my big box store starting with a W. They last 3-5 years for me. No trouble cranking the 351. I can’t make sense of the designer battery prices.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2023 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Tomrupp Tomrupp wrote:

I like the cheapest group 65 I can find. Typically at my big box store starting with a W. They last 3-5 years for me. No trouble cranking the 351. I can’t make sense of the designer battery prices.

I have been running Walmart group 65N's in all my boats along with the double battery setup in my 6.0 Superduty, I never had an issue with them even in Canada @ -30c

Found this in my research,
Johnson Controls supplies more than one third of the world's lead-acid batteries to automakers and aftermarket retailers including Wal-Mart, Sears, Toyota, and BMW. Lead acid battery brands produced under this business unit include Continental, OPTIMA, Heliar, LTH, Delkor and VARTA automotive batteries.

Hence my original question, Is the AGM worth the extra coin??
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2023 at 9:21pm
Both types are useful
I like using AGM type in my dirt bikes, and off-road stuff. Better vibrations resistant sealed etc
But if I had a really dependable running old school car or boat, nothing wrong with the WM
I am using an optima red top in my boat now just for insurance, original starter loves it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2023 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I never had an issue with them even in Canada @ -30c

Hence my original question, Is the AGM worth the extra coin??

I would gladly pay double for one just not to be in Canada when it's -30 LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2023 at 8:37am
My 2004 came with a walmart group 65 that was two years old in 2012.  Knock on wood but it is still cranking years later.  That is one battery out of many in the fleet with that type of age as others are not so great.  Big Red must vibrate way too much as that is usually a every year change but that isnt the worst thing as they usually are still under full replacement warranty.  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2023 at 7:42am
So.........you buy a battery yet?

Maybe forget to update the thread?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2023 at 5:22pm
Johnson controls does build batteries here in the USA.  They built batteries for my company for several years.  We branded them as Champion because we owned Champion Spark Plugs and could use the name at no charge.   There were two more large builders, Decca and I forget the other.   Today you have competition from Korea, Mexico and China bring in batteries so do you homework.   I am several years removed from the company so I do not know if Johnson even builds the Champion brand today but I did respect the product.

AGM batteries have the ability to take a much faster recharge, you can charge them at 60 AMPs and they like it,  our boats typically do not put out the AMPs to do this fast recharge so you give up one of its abilities.  Standard batteries prefer a slow charge if you want them to last.   They also have the ability to provide full voltage right up to the point where they fail.   Standard batteries tend to get weaker as they discharge. So with a standard battery you know when they are getting weak while with an AGM it will start at full power and maybe on the next start be full dead.  So far less warning signs.   Not so good in a boat.   So the types each have advantages and dis advantages choose which you prefer.
I asked the battery engineer on staff why I was getting short life from my boat battery, he asked how big a battery I was using, I replied the largest I could fit.  He laughed at me.  Said the larger and heavier batteries squeaze larger leaded plates inside to hold the extra charge.  Because they are larger they are closer together in the box.  This allows they to touch in the vibration they get in a boat causing failure.   He said put in a lighter duty battery and it will last longer.   So I went from 900 AMPs to 600 and it lasts much longer and cost less.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2023 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

So.........you buy a battery yet?

Maybe forget to update the thread?

Didn’t think it was the kind of thread that needed closure. 

Yes I bought a new battery, I bought the standard group 65 Interstate. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2023 at 4:25pm
Well you did ask the question twice and got a handful of answers, so why not have some closure? Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic