Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Stumble and Flood

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
elvismith2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvismith2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Stumble and Flood
    Posted: August-19-2023 at 9:29am
Hi folks,
First post. Sorry for not adding to another thread but I couldn't find anything quite on point.

The patient: 1961 18' Tournament Skier, Interceptor 312 Y block, twin Carter YH carbs (note... I've never seen another like her. Would love to hear of others!)

Symptoms: fires right up and runs smooth. But has a bit of a stumble at higher speeds and a tendency to flood out after running for a while. Symptoms seem worse the hotter the engine gets (ie after running for 15+min straight). Today she completely flooded after a ski, with gas literally pouring out of the rear carb. She's been fighting me all summer between the tendency to flood and the high speed stumble.

What I've done: carbs rebuilt 2 seasons ago. At the beginning of this season she wouldn't start and I diagnosed as weak spark, so I replaced the coil and she fired right up. Since replaced the plugs (gap .35) and wires. I literally cannot find the right cap and rotor (any advice here would be appreciated. The "stock" cap and rotor you get from the NAPA computer are too big). New gas and Sea Foam to combat any water in the gas.

I'm at my wits end. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2023 at 11:23am
Hi Elvis Wink

Here's some YH reading in the link below

Some people claim they don't leak, most others like you would disagree.

What's the distributor, a Mallory , an Autolite, any part number on the distributor?

You might try the guy in the quote below for some information, if you haven't already. Right in your state even.

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Call Jim Harris in South Portland ME. 207-252-0996. He has a lot of Interceptor parts

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2023 at 11:33am
Check this thread, especially the last post.

Your high speed stumble could be related to the carb problems so once you get the raw gas flow figured out you can see if that is solved as well.  But would be worth getting a timing light on it to check total timing, see if advance is working as it should.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvismith2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2023 at 11:55am
Thanks KENO -

Thanks for the YH read. They definitely leak even steady state, but it's never been a problem or concern. When they flood, though...

Mallory YD distro, year unknown.

And thanks for the South Portland connect. Very near to me.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvismith2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2023 at 11:57am
Super helpful... thanks!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2023 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by elvismith2000 elvismith2000 wrote:

Thanks KENO -

Thanks for the YH read. They definitely leak even steady state, but it's never been a problem or concern. When they flood, though...

Mallory YD distro, year unknown.

And thanks for the South Portland connect. Very near to me.

Mike

A lot but not all of the YD series used the flat crab cap and it's diameter is a little smaller than the "normal" cap which would be a Mallory 209D for marine use.

The "normal" cap is a loose sloppy fit on the housing of the crab cap distributor

The crab cap won't fir on the "normal" distributor housing.

Don't know if this is your issue, but if you're looking for a genuine repackaged Mallory cap look for a new old stock OMC 982209 cap on Ebay. They're usually a lot cheaper than one that comes in a Mallory box. It's the "normal" looking cap not a crab cap Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic