NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 Mustang with 289 Ford skipping

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 67 Mustang with 289 Ford skipping
    Posted: August-11-2023 at 10:26am
I have a rebuilt engine (a 289 ford engine) in my 67 correct craft.  I’ve never had it in the water because it’s skipping.  It’s all new rebuild engine, new wires plugs, Petronix ignition system and distributer.  

Troubleshooting steps,
Distributed removed, checked timing, brand new carb, motor craft spark plugs new distributer cap and rotor. Mallory system.  All cylinders are getting a good spark.  Haven’t readjusted the valves to see if one is tight yet.  Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions.  Video attached showing the issue.  Thanks. 

https://youtu.be/AxS_lrJXgPw

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2023 at 7:05pm
Right hand rotation or left hand? what firing order?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2023 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Right hand rotation or left hand? what firing order?

Here are half of your answers in the link below Gary  Wink

DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2023 at 7:51pm
Right hand
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2023 at 8:22am
I guess I don't hear this skip but after watching the video a number of times I got dizzy and fell out of my chair Wink

I'll also guess that there's a reason Gary asked what the firing order is

New cam or the original cam?
DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2023 at 9:24pm
New cam
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2023 at 9:59pm
Are you sure the new cam has the same 289, early 302 firing order and not the later 302 firing order?

Got a part number for the cam?

And you never answered the firing order question, so what is it? Wink
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2023 at 8:37am
When I rebuilt my RR 302 the internet wasn't around for us so it was really difficult to get info. Somehow I found a cam and had to order it through a marina in Wisconsin and return my old one to them. Got it together following the firing order on the cam card and started it up to break in the cam. Wasn't running right couldn't figure it out - ended up removing the valve covers and manually turning the engine over and watching the sequence the valves opened and closed. Turns out Crane had the wrong firing order printed on the card,they had printed the old 289/302 order vs the 351 order that Ford had changed over to for all Windsor engines. It was only a 2 wire change but was done I believe due to smooth out 351 harmonics. 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2023 at 6:33pm
Right hand firing 18736245
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2023 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by DasBoot67 DasBoot67 wrote:

Right hand firing 18736245

Since that's the early reverse rotation firing order you're using, are you sure your new cam is ground for that firing order or maybe the later firing order of 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3

If you use the early firing order with the later cam, you'll have an engine that starts and runs on 4 cylinders. You'll have spark to all 8 but only 4 will be firing at the right time.

Early order   1 8 7 3 6 2 4 5

Later cam     1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3

1 8 6 2 will be firing when they should, the other 4 are firing at the wrong times and you have an engine that runs but not too good.

Since this was just rebuilt with a new cam and a RR early firing order cam is about as common as dinosaurs these days, that's why the question was asked
DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2023 at 7:58pm
I will try that this weekend I think you are right just the sounds of it
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 6:57am
A relatively easy way  to check the cam's firing order would be to take all the spark plugs out so you can rotate the engine easily with a 15/16 socket on the harmonic balancer bolt.

Rotate the way the engine rotates and with a helper holding a finger in #1 plug hole rotate to TDC on #1 (you'll feel air escaping as the piston comes up to TDC on the compression stroke.

With #1 at TDC, in either firing order the next cylinder to fire is #8 so finger over #8 and rotate the engine 90 degrees and you'll have air escaping.

Now put the finger over #4 and repeat the 90 degree turn and if air comes out, you have the later cam and should swap your wires to the later firing order.   1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3

If no air came out, then #7 would be the 3rd cylinder to fire and you'd use the early firing order that you have now.   1 8 7 3 6 2 4 5. You could verify this by rotating backwards about 90 degrees and putting the finger over #7 and rotating forward 90 degrees again to feel air coming from #7.

There's no need to continue through all the cylinders with the finger routine unless you're just having too much fun. 

Or.........you could skip all this and swap the wires around to the later order and see what happens.

Let's hope you're smiling when it's all done  Wink
DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 6:03pm
I swapped the wires around all is great sounds so much better starts right up thank you for the info I appreciate it so much I didn’t even think of the cam I just told the engine rebuilder it was RH rotation he never mentioned the new cam being different again THANK YOU
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 6:13pm
Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Thank Gary, he got things started in the right direction..........and good looking boat in the video 

The cam issue comes up in the car world fairly often and is always a puzzler. 

8 cylinders sound a lot better than 4
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 9:25am
Glad you got it- like Ken says 8 sound better,but that's what the fooler is. The fact that it does run is the confusing part,in my case when I went to figure it out back in the day with no internet, who would have thought the ones who made the cam would have the firing order wrong
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic