NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting issue….

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting issue….
    Posted: July-28-2023 at 6:08pm
The following on a GT40:

So, my troubleshooting wasn’t correct in thinking I had a faulty starter solenoid. I had also meant to order the solenoid relay, and forgot. Will get one coming, although, are they an off the shelf item at NAPA?

Turning the key to start results in a click at the solenoid (starter and solenoid are new). If I hit the starter a couple of times, no issue cranking. Bad relay? Wiring connections appear good. Haven’t put a meter on the relay yet.

Thanks for some direction.

Mark
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2023 at 7:38pm
If you use a small jumper with alligator clips as shown in the picture between the battery cable on the solenoid and the terminal that has the 12 gauge wire from the relay attached, that bypasses everything including the relay on the back of the engine and the neutral safety switch, putting power to the solenoid and the starter should crank the engine. Being a new starter it should crank the engine over.

Leave the key in OFF so the engine doesn't start.

If the starter doesn't crank the engine over, I'd check the all the positive and negative  connections between the battery and the starter. 

That would be the battery connection itself, then follow the 2 gauge cable to the relay on the back of the engine and you should see the cable hooked to the relay on the same post as the 2 gauge cable going to the starter. Make sure everything is clean and tight there. That gets power from the battery to the starter.

Then check the negative cable connection at the battery and where it bolts to the engine block making sure they're clean and tight.

Also check the 12 gauge wire from the relay to the solenoid to be sure the connections on both ends are clean and tight.

Then try the jumper again after the cleaning and tightness checks

That should give you some information to figure out the issue

In the picture the yellow wire is from the relay on the back of the engine, the big red one is the battery cable and the little red one would be the jumper

Being a Hydrodyne with a gt40, the starting circuit should be wired the same as a CC with a gt40.

A relay for an 85 F250 with a 351 is the same relay if you need a vehicle to reference at NAPA.

Make sure the relay has an "I" terminal. Some do and some don't

And one last thing for now anyways.............quit hitting your PMGR starter Wink, they like to break the permanent magnets if you hit them too hard

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2023 at 9:07am
So, no issues cranking the engine by jumping the poles. Brought me back to my VW days. That will buy me some time till I can check all the wiring at the relay.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2023 at 11:17am
So, it looks like it's probably the relay since the starter works fine.

Or maybe a bad wire or connection on the 12 gauge wire from the relay to the starter solenoid

If you're gonna change the relay, keep track of all those wires and where they go, it's semi easy to get mixed up .Wink
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2023 at 12:55pm
Affirmative on all that! The relay is buried behind the ECM, so this will be a project when we get home:-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic