Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Axle replacement - need specs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mattdebart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattdebart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Axle replacement - need specs
    Posted: July-26-2023 at 10:22am
i have a 1988 Martinique single axle trailer and need to replace the axle

could not find any details on axle such as a plate or stamped detail

boat in storage and not able to take to repair shop so working with mobile service guy

Any details you can provide would appreciated 

Matthew 
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2023 at 11:18am
Looks like the same as my 88 BFN trailer. if i recall correctly they are the same hull bottom?

I have to ask, why do you need to replace this axle this one looks like it isn't even rotted from your pictures. 

These axles are not a common bought off the shelf item like trailer shops would normally carry because of the bend in the axle to clearthe skeg(s). but the factory xle should be a 5200-6000# rated axle. with a 1.75 and 1.25" bearings

if you are replacing its going to most likely be a custom made axle from a fab shop unless you find a doner trailer/axle.
(if you do find a doner and it has paperwork let me know i'd be interested in it! I gave up trying to title mine years ago)

1988 Barefoot nautique-454

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattdebart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2023 at 3:19pm
I agree with your thoughts, have a local company looking into replacing the whole axle, stay tuned 
Iron Bear Trailer 
the challenge is that its in the storage lot and can not be moved

I wish there was a way to bolt on a new spindle to the current axle but my mobile service guy said you cant

thanks 

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2023 at 4:14pm
I should have measurements of my 1985 SN2001 axle.  The whole boat is at a trailer shot in Bell Buckle TN and they work with a shot in Indiana that will build a custom axle for me.  I just do not know if ours are the same.  
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2023 at 6:41pm
You could use a straight axle and just mount it under the leaf springs instead of on top.  It would raise it a couple of inches but should clear the skegs.  It's a different boat and trailer but I swapped out my drop axle with a round straight one many years ago and have never had a problem.  The '92 was already mounted underneath but I switched from square to round.  I also ditched the brakes and just have idler hubs.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2023 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by mattdebart mattdebart wrote:

I wish there was a way to bolt on a new spindle to the current axle but my mobile service guy said you can't

Hes right. You cant BOLT on a new spindle. But those are pretty standard peices you can buy but you need a good metal guy who can cut the old one off and weld a new one in keeping it aligned.
I have done it before on a car hauler i owned. 

*Btw* that part i did not check any measurements i just grabbed one for example.you will def want to verify before ordering. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattdebart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2023 at 11:17am
ok, removing the axle off the trailer today, then taking it to the trailer shop to see about a straight axle replacement to be mounted below the springs to gain some clearance in place of a v-bend axle.

welcome any tips/thoughts

Stay tuned!
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2023 at 11:52am
That would be cheaper but if you do that you will have to have your tow ball 2-3 inches higher too.  Are you having to back in a lot more at the ramp?
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2023 at 12:21pm
I would eyeball it from the back see how much clearance you would have for the skegs with a straight axle on top of the leafs.  When the trailer is in the water the boat will be higher than when it's on the trailer.  Depends on how far you back in and the angle of the ramp but you should get a few inches additional clearance.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2023 at 1:35pm
i would beware doing a spring over swap because you will essentially be lifting the entire trailer the width of the axle and the width of the leafs. prob close to 4" which i know i certainly would not want with most ramps I use especially on the BFN which already draws an extra 6 or more inches of water to float than SN.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2023 at 3:55pm
4" drop axles are easy to source.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2023 at 12:50pm
Had my hubs apart today and measured them up, It is what they call a #42 Spindle. a replacement spindle can be had at the link below.
I think they can be found much cheaper than this site but this site had a good picture and dimensions called out.
This is what I would purchase if my spindles ever need replacing.

https://www.humphreystrailerparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5201

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic