Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000 GT40 - Low Pressure Fuel Pumps

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MT_Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 GT40 - Low Pressure Fuel Pumps
    Posted: July-25-2023 at 9:51pm
Hi gang, new to the forum and have a question I haven't been able to find an answer to on here (yet).

I have a 2000 Sport Nautique with the GT40. It sat for a couple of years and I recently got it going again. After a few hours of use, I lost the low pressure fuel pump. Replaced it and everything ran well again. About 5 hours of use later, it appears I have already burned up the new pump. Unsure why that would be.

I pulled the fuel tank dip tube and did not find a screen on the end (so, no clog there). I also pulled the check ball and found it a little gummy but still movable.

Here's my guestion: other than sucking stuff up unto the low pressure pump from the tank due to a lack of a screen, what else might cause the pump to burn up so fast? Seemed to work fine. Then, just dead. I haven't seen any electrical anomalies, but haven't looked closely at the loom.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 11:08pm
is it not running or just not pumping? There is a filter screen inside of it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 11:12pm
The low pressure pump is getting power but is inoperable (not spinning).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 11:17pm
The high pressure pump works fine. So I could manually add fuel to the FCC canister and it will run until that fuel is consumed, then stop and won't start because the low pressure pump isn't pumping at all.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 11:34pm
Not pumping and not spinning are 2 different things. If it were me I'd pull if off, take it apart and test it and see whats going on.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 11:42pm
Thanks.

These are rotary pumps. If it doesn't spin, it doesn't pump. As I say, I've now gone through 2 pumps in about 10 hours of running time. I haven't found any obvious signs of fuel contamination such that it would destroy a pump in 5 hours of use. I disassembled the first pump and found little varnish and little contamination on the screen.

I'm curious if anyone on here has encountered a similar issue. I don't want to install a third pump just to burn it up in the event this isn't a fluke and there is something else going on.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2023 at 7:09am
So now that we've established that a pump that doesn't turn doesn't do any pumping. how did you figure out that the pump doesn't turn? Wink

Since the HP pump works, and they're both powered through the same breaker, there should be power at the terminals for the LP pump.

Have you verified that you have 12 volts at the terminals where the wires hook up?. Or used jumper wires direct to the LP pump to see if it runs

It seems like if it isn't turning because it's mechanically bound up, it should have tripped the fuel pump breaker 

I guess that I'd be taking the pump out, bench testing it to see if it runs, and taking it apart enough to see if it's bound up or if it turns like it should and the motor crapped out.

Where did you buy the new pump and what was the part number?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2023 at 8:48am
I have 12 volts at the LP pump at key on for the "prime cycle." I will take the new pump out and strip it down to check it and also bench test it. But the issue appears to be with the pumps, not power.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2023 at 8:54am
The new pump came from NAPA. It is not a Carter marine pump but matched all of the specs of the original. I'll have to find the part number.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic