Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft coupling shoulder sizing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BF_skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BF_skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft coupling shoulder sizing
    Posted: July-20-2023 at 11:45pm
Hey CCfans! I have been working on a 1984 BFN that was taken apart by the PO before I purchased it. I am expecting that I will need a new prop and shaft but I want to see how the original gear all lines up before I place the order. One thing I noticed is that the shoulder on the shaft side coupler is very loose inside the transmission coupler. I can move the coupler roughly a 1/4” up and down and side to side between the shoulder and recess in the transmission coupler. The shoulder doesn’t look worn down so I am wondering if this coupler is even right. I thought a 4” flange should be standard but based on this mismatch I want to make sure I have the right information. From the outside, the transmission output looks standard and the shaft coupler looks like a typical 4” shrink fit coupler.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2023 at 7:09am
What's this thing got for an engine and transmission?

454's came hooked to a Borg Warner 72C or a 10-18 and they had 5 inch output flanges

Small blocks usually had a 71c or 10-17 and had 4 inch output flanges

Silly question...............Is it a good assumption that both of your couplers are the same diameter?
BF_skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BF_skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2023 at 8:48am
Hi Keno! Thanks for your response.

My assumption that they are the same diameter is based on the fact that the bolt patterns and outer diameter of the couplers match. I assume that means they are both the same size but I could be wrong.

The engine is a 351 and the model tag on the trans reads 10-18-002.

I uploaded a video showing how much play there is when the coupling faces are held together.
https://youtu.be/lKB8usT1_Gw
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2023 at 9:00am
Yeah thats jacked up, but i think if you just center it by feel about the OD as you snug it up, should be inconsequential
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2023 at 12:31pm
I knew it was a silly question but had to ask it.

I measured the shoulder on a prop shaft flange for a 71c (4 inch) and it was 2.49 inches The recess on the transmission flange was just a teeny bit bigger.........it slid in, but no free play like you have.

Same dimensions for the shoulder and recess for a 5 inch setup

So since it seems obvious that one of yours is the wrong size to mate properly, with these measurements you can figure which is the bad one.

I wouldn't put it together with what you have now and expect things to stay concentric.

If you're planning on a new shaft and coupler, cross your fingers and hope the transmission flange is the good one, so you're not buying one of those also. 

And hopefully you're thinking about a double taper shaft and coupler, it's worth every penny in saved aggravation  Wink
BF_skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BF_skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2023 at 3:09pm
Thanks again Keno. Based on your measurement it looks like it is the coupler that is out of spec. I measured 2.25” on the coupler shoulder and 2.5” for the recess on the trans output flange. The OD of the flange is 5”.

Looks like I will be putting in a order for a double taper shaft and prop while I am at it. Is there a go to prop for an 84 351 BFN?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2023 at 3:50pm
Wherever you're getting the shaft and coupler , make sure you give them all the info they're looking for and measure  according to their instructions. A phone call would be a real good idea.

As far as the prop, an ACME 540 is probably a good choice assuming you're wanting to maintain a good top speed and all around performance
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic