Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 351 Ford

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tarpon32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarpon32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 351 Ford
    Posted: July-10-2023 at 12:56pm
Extended running 25-35minutes  at  2500 rpm wiil cause the engine to lose  power and stall' acts like running out of fuel. New fuel pump and changed the filter to spin on. Fuel vent seems to work ok,  refueling the boat comes out  when full.  When it stalls, a few seconds at lower rpm runs fine. A suggestion was to run the boat with the fuel cap open, to check the vent. 2000-2100 rpm it runs all day.  Original holly carb, have not checked the float level. No back fire or miss , does not act like ignition runs too good at lower rpm. Any help Randy
Randy
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2023 at 7:12am
Originally posted by tarpon32 tarpon32 wrote:

does not act like ignition runs too good at lower rpm.

I'd check the ignition system Wink

Old Chinese proverb................90 % of all carburetor problems are ignition related. (Especially if you think it's not the ignition)

What's it got for an ignition system
tarpon32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarpon32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2023 at 8:04am
Original ignition system. does not miss except long running over 2500 RPM, then reduce throttle for a second then go again. Like time for the carb to refill. Randy
Randy
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2023 at 10:58am
So you probably have points unless there was an electronic conversion sometime in the past.

I'd listen to the Chinese guy (he's whispering in my ear............tell him to replace his coil (strictly for troubleshooting of course), it's pretty cheap Wink

Your first and second posts sound somewhat different, does it quit (post #1) or as it's acting up you reduce speed and things recover  (post #2) ?

But, since you're zeroed in on fuel as a problem, hook a temporary tank to the suction of the fuel pump. Make sure the tank is vented and run the boat that way to see if the problem is still there

That'll give you some info
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2023 at 11:40am
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
tarpon32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarpon32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2023 at 4:19pm
Still trobleshooting , is there an anti-siphon valve in the gas tank line? I had a similar problem in an outboard, Randy
Randy
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2023 at 9:24pm
Yes. On my 1988 , it is in the line right on top of the tank .

Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
tarpon32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarpon32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2023 at 9:07am
Ran a load of gas yesterday with no problem.  Replaced the anti sihpon valve in the tank feed line. I could not easily push the ball in the 33 year old valve like the new one. Takes 2 to lift the rear seat, remove the tank clamps,  move the tank enough to remove the hose and lift the feed tube out of the tank. Randy
Randy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic