NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Mooring Cover

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Mooring Cover
    Posted: October-28-2006 at 4:01pm
I can't stand the look of snaps going around a boat, but at the same time, most of my worrying with the boat on trips involves not having a really nice cover that is easy to put on and can be put on the boat while it is in the water. I have a very nice Sunbrella tow cover for the boat (sewn in pads, reinforcements, custom fit to go around the crash pads, etc) but it needs to be tailored to fit a bit better and is always a PITA to put on since it goes over the whole boat and needs to be strapped to the trailer. If I have the boat on the water overnight on vacation somewhere and the weather calls for precip, I have to drape the tow cover over the boat, which of course caves in in in the wrong places and is only held on by the drawstring. A strong wind will blow it right off.

Weitekampt has an awesome custom snap-on cover which only covers from the windshield back. It's tight, fits perfectly, is easy to put on, and looks great. Yes, you have to have snaps on the boat, but I think it might be well worth it for the peace of mind offered by a good fitting cover. So, what I need to know is:

1. Are there any good canvas shops around Chicago that anyone would reccommend to create this cover

2. Any suggestions for placing the snaps so they are as invisible as possible? Maybe on he actual lower windshield frame? Maybe not even across the windshield if I don't tow with it?

3. How much should a custom mooring cover like this cost?
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 4:19pm
   My boat has the cover snaps mounted on the underside of the rubrail.They are not invisible,but you have to be looking for them to even notice.Don't know on the windshield,Silver hook and loop on the lower frame?A small channel that the cover could hook into?Windshield snaps are hideous!The last sunbrella cover I had made was for a 176-$350.00 with 2 vents & 2 poles.It was windshield back,fit perfect and looked great,but the guy used clips on the windshield frame to hold the snaps and they used to slide around and scratch the frame.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 4:21pm
My neighbor's also covers the windshield so that the snaps go at the base of the windshield, and not along the ridge. It looks good, and you're less inclined to catch fingers on the snaps. Just a thought. Here in CA, that would cost you 600-800. BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2006 at 5:09pm
Joel, dont do it!!!

There are other options out there for completely water tight trailerable covers without resorting to snaps. Im currently saving up for a Rankin. Their covers are so good that they dont even need support poles. They use a ratchet system to tighten down.

Rankin uses sunbrella and offers a good warranty- I believe its 5 years. Expect to spend $750-850, but its money well spent IMHO.

There are only 2 drawbacks to the Rankin: They wont be easy to put on once youre on the trailer, and they dont cover the platform.

If you absolutely must have the snaps, make sure you put them on the underside of the rub rail rather than through the gel coat.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 12:59am
I actually have a platform cover already, so that is taken care of. The Rankin cover looks like the ticket but they are obscenely expensive. Looks like they just tension on the rubrail, which is nice. I had no idea they existed. The G-note price tag is certainly a killer, but peace of mind when you're supposed to be having fun on vacation is priceless I suppose.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 1:05pm
I agree- the price is very high. Any decent sunbrella cover will cost $400-500 though, and I dont know of any other brand that is trailerable. I dont know how much a custom cover would be, but Id be surprised if it was much cheaper than the Rankin- and then you'd have snaps.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 8:07am
In Maine, custom mooring covers are $800 to $1,200 for inboards depending on size. I like draw strings the best, but they are more work and harder top put on in a strong wind. If you're going to use snaps, you definately want them under the rub rail. The shops around here have started to put them on above the rub rail, UGLY. If you don't think to tell them, you end up being surprised when you pick up your boat.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 8:45am
Hmm, for 1000.00, I could get one of those 50cc pocket bikes...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 5:58pm
Snaps kill!!! Get in the water and run some straps under the hull you wussy!!! If you need the snaps do it all under the rub rail please.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Hmm, for 1000.00, I could get one of those 50cc pocket bikes...

Now you're talkin   

Mike                  
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 9:42am
Joel,

They put snaps under my rub rail for my cover, there are about 5 on each side, you really cannot see them so it's not too bad. Cover is a draw string, has tabs with snaps on them which snap to the rub rail and also loops for tie downs. Never towed with cover on however I would guess it would need to be tied down to trailer to remain secure. I have had good luck with an outfit in Lake Villa who does covers if you decide to go that route also.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic