Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stripe for 84 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Phil 31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil 31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stripe for 84 2001
    Posted: September-19-2006 at 9:31am
This is my first summer with my 84 2001. I am interested in having new stripes put on it. Where would I go for this?
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 10:56pm
ditto...

I need new strips and decals too.

I am in NE Ohio... Eric? Jimbo? Behinpropeller?

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 12:57am
Phil, the graphics on your '84 were painted on. My '84 needs to be redone as well. As far as I know there are three options:
1. Have a vinyl shop reproduce them. From reports I've read, >$1200 per side. Search the fourm for vinyl graphics and you find several posts.
2. Trace the letters, mask them off, and re-paint the stripes.
3. Paint a solid stripe and slap a smaller/cheaper logo in the middle.
Randy, not sure about your '94.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 7:13am
Randy, your stripes are gelcoat so you dont want to paint anything. You can bring back the shine and color by buffing it out with compound and polish. If its real bad you can wetsand it first. The decals should be available at the dealer. I got new ones for my '90 at White Lake Marine. The pin striping is also sticker tape, but the dealers dont have all the colors anymore. They said that NAPA carries some stuff that is real close though.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 7:30am
I believe the 84s were still paint, TR. The paint job is that 3-stage graduated color stripe and the "Ski Nautique" logo is actually "knocked out" meaning it is the gel color and has no paint or stickers to create the logo.

Like this: 84
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2006 at 8:10am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I believe the 84s were still paint, TR. The paint job is that 3-stage graduated color stripe and the "Ski Nautique" logo is actually "knocked out" meaning it is the gel color and has no paint or stickers to create the logo.

Youre right- and jimbo gave Phil good advice. I was responding to Randy, who has a '93 Sport Nautique.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

ditto...

I need new strips and decals too.

I am in NE Ohio... Eric? Jimbo? Behinpropeller?

What year is yours? I would call MWCC or www.vandevere.com

Tim
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 11:35am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Youre right- and jimbo gave Phil good advice. I was responding to Randy, who has a '93 Sport Nautique.

Oh, whoops. Duh.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:05am
Here is a picture of my 82 SN. The Ski Nautique on the sides is the gel coat. It was taped and then resprayed to a later year color combination. I also did the rear. Very time consuming, but cheaper and more durable than vinyl letters.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 3:50pm
well done...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 4:05pm
The stern

bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 12:16am
I had SWCC repaint my stripe. He used easy off oven cleaner to get the factory paint off. It was rustoleum. No I am not kidding. I went back with single stage PPG black in the exact location. This is my 83 2001

Brad

Phil 31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil 31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 9:15am
holy cow, there is a lot to think about! Brad, the black stripe looks good but I think I am going to try to stick with the original colors. What kind of tower do you have? I am thinking of going with a Monster Tower. What do you think?
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 9:36am
My tower is the original Airboom tower. I bought it 5 years ago. I liked it because at the time they were the closest to the factory tower. Now that new dimension has one that looks exact, I would buy that one instead. My goal with this boat was to update it in all aspects. The factory stripes look good on an all original boat, but if you put a tower on I think that it looks better and more modern with a single color stripe. Remember the three stipes will the most expensive. Three tape and paint processes......

Brad
pmastan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmastan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 10:08am
Brad,
Great point, I never thought of it that way. I bought the boat from the original dealer in Pennsylvania. I was lucky because it was very well taken care of so I have not had to do to much except update it for wakeboarding. I am definately torn between keeping it original and updating it. I guess it you put a tower on it you can throw keeping it original out the window. Where are you located?
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 12:07pm
I am in Tyler Texas. Tyler is 90 miles east of the Dallas metroplex. I think that the boat has such cla$$ic lines that even updated it still looks so cool. I have almost finished updating all the items that date it. The interior was done by CC in indiana with original patterns but the new GT vinyl like the new boats. The carpet I put in is CC carpet with 40oz on the floors and 16oz on the sides. This past winter I put a new Morse MV3 controls and new helm with an updated and modern leather steering wheel. The guages are the only thing cosmetically left and they will be replaced this winter. Overall when people see the boat they cant believe it is an 83. If I still had the original stripes and carpet I think it would look dated.

Brad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic