Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuild Cost

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1950satom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1950satom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuild Cost
    Posted: September-04-2006 at 2:27pm

I have a 1953 Atom which I am tring to bring back to life but I am having problems with the engine. I think the best thing may be to just rebuild right now. When I put jumper cables directly to the block and starter the engine turns over but very rough. I put some mystery oil in there but am thinking that I should maybe just have the engine rebuilt. I am trouble shoot small stuff but rebuilding the engine may be beyond my abilities right now...but who knows I may have to learn depending on the cost. How much should I be prepared to spend to rebuild the engine. I'm not looking for anything special or to get more HP out of the boat considering that it is overpowered as is....but I just want to be prepared to understand how much I should be spending and also so that I don't get screwed. Can I bring to any mechanic to rebuild or should I bring to someone who specializes in marine engines? I am thinking at this time in the year that it will be a winter project that I can drop off and leave for a few months and have a chance to work on the hull and repair some problems I have there along with a new coat of paint.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

Greg

My Lil Boat

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 12:34am
Greg,
Looks like a good winter project!

As for engine rebuilding, Im getting ready to rebuild a 283 for one of my old inboards. As of now, Ive got aprox $1500 in parts and machine work ,and it still needs to be a$$embled. Ive rebuilt many automotive engines and decided it was time to try a "backwards" marine engine... One thing Ive found was ask a lot of questions! Most stuff is similar, but there can be some differences...oil seals, cam , etc...

As for pleasing the wife (I read your diaries story), Mine said she would never ride in my 64 when I brought it home, now she wont let me sell it! Good luck and keep us posted!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 1:49pm
What motor is yours? If you can read and follow directions, you can rebuild an engine, a$$uming you can find a good rebuild book. Of course it helps to have mechanically-minded friends to turn to when you hit the tricky parts, like installing a rope rear main seal, or diagnosing a brand-new (but faulty) starter problem. Been there.

I spent $383 at my machine shop doing all the machining on my Chrysler 318. Included honing cylinders & re-working the heads for larger intake valves. No boring.

You have a 6-volt system? Weren't they marginal for V8's at best?

Incidentally, if you have a marine Chrysler of that vintage, I'm sure you're in way over your head. Disregard the above advice, pack it all up, and send it my way.

Thomas

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 2:00pm
I would plan on a good 1200 including incidentals for a marine rev rot 302 build up doing everything but the machining yourself. I would be checking compression first to determine if you really need the rebuild though.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
1950satom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1950satom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 8:26pm
well...I have a ford 302 not sure of the year or the HP...

I put some mystery oil into each cylindar and also pulled out the starter and it seems to work fine but when i turn the key the engine only turns about a quarter of a turn...i was told to replace the solenoid which I did but now there is another electrical problem and nothing will work when I turn the key...I do not have a working starting battery so I am trying to jump from my car right now...not sure if that could be the cause of some of my problems or not. I also bought a new cap and rotor and points but that hasn't done me any good considering that the engine won't turn over...so I was thinking i needed to rebuild but maybe i just need to let some more mystery oil do it's work...i am not great with electrical or engines that is not my forte so i was either hoping to trade the engine i have now for a rebuilt engine that is working or to take my chances if i could rebuild this engine for cheap enough but if the cost gets up there i would rather just have someone else do it for me....if anyone knows of any place in the Portland, Maine area who either rebuilds engines or has inboards for sale please let me know...i am not really sure where to look or who to ask
thanks for the help
greg
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 4:16am
I'd clean all the electrical connections and buy a new battery before I decided to rebuild the engine.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 11:11pm
That looks like the engine I have in my 72 . My engine is a conquerer crusader 302 with 220 hp.
if yours has a 4 barrel that is probably what it is . If it is 2 barrel Ithink they are 200 hp.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 8:50am
New battery, new cables, new soleniod and clean contacts before even considering a rebuild, your not going to get that old girl spinning using jumpers from your car. Pull the spark plugs, put a breaker bar on the nut in the middle of the bottom pulley and crank it over by hand. If you can crank it then the starter should be able to...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic