Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oil change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil change
    Posted: August-08-2006 at 11:14pm
i have a 1977 amer.skier with a 302.what type/wt oil should i use?just bought a hand pump to try my hand at changing it.also,the air clnr. is on the small side.is it a stock type filter? looks kinda custom.its about 8"across.thanx again for the help.the boat runs/drives great.
CCxHYPERLITEx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 12:56am
20w/40or 20w/50 either should be fine because they run eight cylinder if i recall....
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 6:56am
Leave your 'air filter' alone. Its a spark arrestor. Don't use multivis, just use Diesel rated (CC) straight 30 wt, is has enough zinc to keep the old cam happy.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 6:10pm
Gotta: Whats the dael with no multivis? Been using it on all my boats. Am I in the wrong? Is the Diesel better for the motor? What dodes 79 think about this?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 7:31pm
flat tappett cams need the heavy metals for the extreme pressure exerted on the lobes and lifters,newer motors are now using roller cams and the lifters have bearings,so they dont need the additives that were needed for the flat tappet cams. another way to save the oil co. money and to clean up the enviroment.diesels still use old technology,ie Rotella oil straight 30 or 40 wt.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 7:38pm
Exactly,
The EPA and automakers have been stripping the zinc compounds out of oil, because the epa mandates that automakers must warrantee emission equipment longer and longer. these compounds kill cat-converters.

Automakers saw this comming, and have began switching their fleet to roller cams since the mid-late eighties.

With the latest revision of oil spec, there have been a lot of marine and classic musclecars eating cams; lots of buzz about it lately.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 9:29pm
PCM manual calls for different oils to be used in different ambient temperatures with the preferred warm weather oil being straight 30W
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic