NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Specs for Pro Boss 351/Fast Idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Specs for Pro Boss 351/Fast Idle
    Posted: August-02-2006 at 1:13pm
I have a 1993 Pro Boss engine. I think I need to replace the springs in my distributor. If I run the engine hard and then bring it back to idle it has a fast idle and the only way to fix this is to cut off the engine and then restart. Has anyone else had this problem. Someone told me that the springs in my distributor were probably sticking.

If I replace the springs I will need to reset or at least check my timing.

Does anyone know what the specs. are for setting the timing on this engine? Also Since I never have set the timing what are the general instructions. I borrowed a timing light from a friend of mine but he has never used it.

skilew77@yahoo.com
Lew
skilew77@yahoo.com
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 2:42pm
Your ProBoss should have the ProTec ignition system, correct? I am not sure there is a way to adjust your timing. I doubt that your high idle is timing related, it is more likely a carb issue. Perhaps your choke is sticking a bit? I am not a carb expert- Im sure someone else will be able to give you some direction.
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 10:53pm
My Engine ignition was converted back to a distributor type ignition.
Lew
skilew77@yahoo.com
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2006 at 6:43am
Could be the advance sticking, but first

Seen this before. Your secondary return rod is sloppy, the secondaries are hanging open slightly. Bend it so it fully closes the secondaries when at the idle stop.

Still a good idea to lube the advance mech.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic