Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Temperature?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Temperature?
    Posted: July-26-2006 at 7:58am
Ok guys I here about guys running different thermostats in there boats.So what is the right temp.I've got a 140 degree stat in my boat and I here guys running 160's and 180's so which one is right.My 140 stat sits in my 1978 mustang17,seems to be fine to me and it runs fine.So what do you all think,am I running to low of a t-stat or is just personel preference between everyone.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 9:11am
I run a 140 degree stat in my Mustang. The package says 142, but 140 is stamped on the bottom of the stat.
Tim D
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 9:12am
i run a 140 also. i think most people here run the 160 and prefer the motor running at that temperature. for whatever reason i havent seen the 180offered through marine outlets, although like you i've seen people posting about running 180.   
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 9:20am
When you start getting higher than 140, it's hard to believe that 80 degree or so water entering the block wont cause thermo shock.
Tim D
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 9:30am
I've heard if you run a little higher stat like a 160 degree,you get better horsepower out of the engine. Is it true, who knows,just kinda of curious what everyone else is running.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 9:43am
Closed cooling vs open, carb vs. efi, salt water vs regular and year of manufacture have all had effects on manufacturer's recommendations. If you know what it had originally run that. Warmer temps can be more efficient and keep the plugs from fouling up, better horsepower maybe a little but negligible (until those plugs foul). My raw water pump and most of the cooling setup is from 1967 and has a million hoses routed from it, I run a 146 degree thermostat and end up running close to the 160 degree temp range if running extended time at higher speeds.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic