Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

accelerator problem with commander 302

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
waketique78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waketique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: accelerator problem with commander 302
    Posted: July-17-2006 at 6:47pm
well my commander 302 has been running poor recently, i have figured out the rough idle to just be a tuning issue, but it hesitates significantly when under load. To me it sounds like the fuel accelerator but I wasn't sure were to locate it in my carb, or how to trouble shoot it/replace it once i do find it. Also one of my air/fuel ratio screws broke and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could locate another.
1978 Ski Tique, Skylon, Fatseat And Sacs for ballast
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 12:02am
Try...skidim for the screws...they have them.

Are you sure it's a carb issue...are you using points in the distrib or ei?

If you have not already done so... check the gap on the points if you have them...and check timing first.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waketique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 10:59am
i believe that mine is ei. but i am not positive, how do you tell? I guess once I figure that out I will go from there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waketique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 12:35pm
all the mechanics i talk to say accelerator pump,   the hesitation only happens under load, the boat sounds fine at idle and revs beautifully in neutral, can anyone tell me where the accel pump is in these carbs?
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 1:36pm
You don't want to start chasing your tail around!
The mechanics are guessing...and they very well could be right! BUT...start with a couple simple checks....because , your carb won't run right if your timing is off and you can't set the timing right if the points are not right...chasing your tail!!!
SO...pop the distributor cap off and give it a look...if you have a points style ignition , you will see them...an easy way to tell is while the cap is off , bump the starter a couple times and you will see a small spark where the points are...a tiny(.018-.021 ) gap between them opens and closes.Be sure the key is off if you regap them or you will get a small jolt.
Points should be replaced every two years...lots of folks do it each season....there is nothing to it. They get corroded...as does the distr cap contacts as does the rotor.
Have a buddy take a look if you need help.

I would start there...and set timing and see if your prob still is there...then replace the x pump.

If it's an EI ign....check timing see where it is.

If your points and timing are off you can get symptoms that lead one to believe it is a carb issue....AND it may be!
Good luck.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 9:54pm
On a Holley it is on the bottom of the bowl, #27 in this diagram.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waketique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2006 at 10:19am
is there a way to tell if the accel pump is shot then? should I be be able to see it squirt fuel when I push the throttle down when the engine is off. Also where do I check the timing on these engines? Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waketique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 3:17pm
well i am going to check the timing tonight, so i will let you all know how that goes. I also checked and I am electronic ignition, so no point issues. Just wondering again if there is a way to tell the accel pump is bad without pulling the carb apart, like whether it squirts fuel or not. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic