Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MSD Electric No Points Distributor vs Points

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mmadore21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmadore21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSD Electric No Points Distributor vs Points
    Posted: April-17-2017 at 10:37pm
I have a 2007 Ski Nautique 206 with a 350 PCM Vortec GM. Considering a MSD Street Fire drop in distributor. Anyone ever used one with on a PCM?

https://www.msdperformance.com/products/distributors/chevrolet/parts/5592

Like many of you I have had a lot of corrosion on distributor caps. My local gear head hot rod friend said it would solve all my problems and be night and day...but he's not a boat guy.

Thoughts?

2007 206 SN Limited
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2017 at 11:05pm
Mike

You could install one of those and maybe end all your problems forever. It could be a night and day difference in whether you're still alive or not.

It's not a marine approved distributor so you have a better chance of burning or killing yourself and any passengers on the boat in an explosion

Depends how lucky you feel.

Plenty of people using non marine approved distributors and getting away with it......for now

Somebody may tell you it's just like a marine distributor (as far as they know) but if you have the big boom don't expect anything from your insurance company

Just takes the right conditions once. Those are my thoughts. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear

Your title is a little confusing, do you think your 2007 PCM distributor is a points setup or something?
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 12:36am
MSD most likely makes a marine set up for R&L hand rotation motors. You might just need to search a little more or contact MSD direct to obtain a part number. If your motor is a reverse turn motor, I am pretty sure the gear on the bottom of the distributor is a reverse turn gear to mesh up with a reverse turn cam. You will most likely want a MSD ignition module and coil, it is kind of a package deal. As you have a enclosed motor compartment you do need to use marine parts.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 12:56am
I cannot imagine a modern Chevy powered Nautique not having the computer and distributor working together. And the chances of being reverse rotation to boot?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 9:04am
Originally posted by JD ski JD ski wrote:

MSD most likely makes a marine set up for R&L hand rotation motors. You might just need to search a little more or contact MSD direct to obtain a part number. If your motor is a reverse turn motor, I am pretty sure the gear on the bottom of the distributor is a reverse turn gear to mesh up with a reverse turn cam. You will most likely want a MSD ignition module and coil, it is kind of a package deal. As you have a enclosed motor compartment you do need to use marine parts.

Like Gary says 2007 PCM Chevy is left hand rotation in a Correct Craft

And JD, you should do a search on how the typical Reverse Rotation Chevy is set up as far as cam rotation and distributor gears. We'll emphasize TYPICAL since you can find what you describe but typically not on an engine we'd be talking about on this forum.

It's not what you think, and it's been discussed at least a few times here on CCF
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 9:53am
I am running the same motor in my 206, have logged about 600 hours so far and the only ignition issues have been the cap, apparently that particular cap is known to wear out/crack/corrode prematurely. I am replacing about every 3-4 yrs.

The Excalibur is definitely standard rotation and if replacing the distributor requires any ecm mods good luck breaking the PCM codes. ICBW but I don't believe you can even manually adjust the timing on this setup.
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Like Gary says 2007 PCM Chevy is left hand rotation in a Correct Craft

And JD, you should do a search on how the typical Reverse Rotation Chevy is set up as far as cam rotation and distributor gears. We'll emphasize TYPICAL since you can find what you describe but typically not on an engine we'd be talking about on this forum.

It's not what you think, and it's been discussed at least a few times here on CCF

I was speaking very generically as I know the parts are available and that I was not doing the research for him. I have a Mercruser GM small block that is reverse rotation and although it runs points it also has a marine electronic module controlling and enhancing the spark. MSD makes electronic and mechanical spark enhancements systems if one chooses to go that route and to beware of which rotation your specific motor is. Not giving specific advice just things to be aware of and emphasizing the use of marine parts as previously stated.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 2:15pm

. If your motor is a reverse turn motor, I am pretty sure the gear on the bottom of the distributor is a reverse turn gear to mesh up with a reverse turn cam. .

Nothing to do with the original post, but what I was referring to was your statement above. Since it's a Chevy being talked about, for the great majority of small and big block Chevy's out there the distributor is exactly the same for RH or LH rotation including the gear.cause the camshaft rotates the same direction in both RH and LH versions.

LH has a chain driven camshaft and RH has a gear driven camshaft that makes it spin opposite of crankshaft rotation.

There are a few high performance racer type setups that are done differently and would need an opposite cut gear

Just pointing that out
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 3:20pm
Just to add,

The 206 Chevy Motor is indeed a left Hand Motor with a Gear Reduction Transmission so the prop turns like a Right Handed Motor. I believe this all happened with the last (89?) 2001 hull and moving forward. There are a few exception with the Standard or Scrappy model that was out for a few years with a 1 to 1 trans and a right hand motor in the early 90's.

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic