NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Neck brace

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neck brace
    Posted: July-15-2016 at 7:57am
Looking into a neck brace for footin. And from what I have read up on them it's a worthwhile investment and i'm told the barefoot central ones are the only ones to get.
Has anyone ordered one of those and if so did you size yours larger or are they spot on? somewhat adjustable? I don't want to spend $100 and have it be too tight that i'm short of breath, but too large will have an equally negative impact on the performance. Maybe I'm over thinking it but hey, $100 is $100.
I usually wear a 17" collared shirt and my neck measures between 16.5 and 17".
-Tony
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 8:29am
Definitely a must if you're going to try anything backwards. Purely optional otherwise (I only wear mine backwards).

Believe mine is a large, my neck is 16.5. The bfc brace is double Velcro- you can put it on as loose or as tight as you want.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 8:39am
are talking of this one because this asks for a size.
http://www.barefootcentral.com/extremefooterneckbrace.aspx

I'm not an extreme footer by any means but i've been trying some stuff on the very short runs my local lake allows. came home last week with a little extra soreness in the neck and decided it was time.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 9:54am
Didn't recall that they were sold in 1/2" increments. Just order whatever shirt size you wear, you can always wear it a little loose so you're not choking.

Brad wears his all the time but I've never felt the need. Surely no harm in doing so, other than the comfort/convenience factor. Definitely a must for backwards- especially when learning.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 10:24am
^^^^^ I agree on the forward / backward idea. I wish I would have had one when learning backwards. Picking your head up by your hair the following morning to get your body out of bed is no fun!!!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 11:08am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

^^^^^ I agree on the forward / backward idea. I wish I would have had one when learning backwards. Picking your head up by your hair the following morning to get your body out of bed is no fun!!!!

Had to chuckle at that. Here is a coincidental facebook post of mine from just a week or so ago.

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 1:47pm
A video below will so some benefits of the neck brace as well

With some slow motion
[/QUOTE]
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 2:00pm
HA! I was thinking of that one Greg, Even looked around for it a bit. Looks like your head is about 5 degrees away from snapping off.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 4:54pm
nice video and good thing for that brace!

Ordering one up now thanks for the input guys. the picking my head up by the hair sounds about right for me, except for the hair part. I had a few good sideways somersaults. too bad there isn't a brace for my groin.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 5:40pm
Thats a cup
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 5:42pm
Backwards...and front one foot wakes...when you start one foot wakes you'll be introduced to the 45-47 mph faceplant...the neckbrace helps keep your head attached
This is the life
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 8:32pm
That video pretty much sums it up! OUCH,
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 10:55am
Get the BFC brace and when the foam rips glue and tape it back together and when it rips again cut your own new piece from the back panel of an old life jacket.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 11:02am
Thanks guys ordered one up. I just got the size that matches my suit and shirt collar size. they charge almost $20 to ship the darn thing.

glass, the cup will protect the floppy drive but I meant the groin muscle. While im only 30 years of age my body never did and never will like doing gymnastics moves like I experienced the other day. haha.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 11:05am
Do some warm up before. I always forget to stretch after
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 11:12am
I found that one out all too quickly.
when i know i'm heading out i try and do some laps on the treadmill to get warmed up then stretch well.It's tough to find room for good stretches in the boat.
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 1:56pm
Years ago when i was in my late teens early twenties I actually slammed down at 52 mph. I landed on my right side and the water pressure moved my eardrum and hurt like hell. I was young and dumb so no medical was necessary.The next day hearing wasnt correct and I couldnt turn my neck either.. I went to Dr then.He said nothing was broken and he couldnt do anything for either issue.said it heal on its own.3 weeks later all was better and i ran into bananna george at a tournament on lake eola in orlando.we talked for a few minutes and i heard some bad stories from him.He said if your gonna be stupid you gotta be tuff.I went home and jumped straight in the boat.Its been 17 years since ive benn behind a boat barefooting.This thread has me wanting to get back and do it.Thanks for the insperation
my 1980 SN is mad at my 2009 HD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 2:24pm
Go for it! Slow down a bit.... 51mph is too fast anyway!!
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 2:36pm
im 6'7'' and was 280.now im 255. You ever been pulled on a ski at 12mph? .lol its really tough on the body ,not to mention muscle groups the next day.I guess when we were younger we learned from experience.usually the hard way. now ill take someones word or advice
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 4:02pm
If you don't have a boom I would suggest starting there. It tames everything including the speed.
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 4:32pm
i was starting of a knee board or just kicking my feet over the rope at take off back then..I had no problem normally..Just that one wipe out.Had plenty on busy lakes while footin,just none that bad
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 9:09pm
What boat pulled you 52?
This is the life
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

What boat pulled you 52?

back then it was a check mate with a out board..i think it was an early 250 blackmax .back then we didnt care what we used.I actually put about 5 years behind a prostar 190 with some fill in weekends behind a 2001. Ive trick skied behind a john boat with a 40hp as well.it was all about the lake.if it would float and run we tried to use it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 11:50pm
Another neck brace that has worked for me...I had Scarpas...it worked ok..but wasnt durable, I've been using a Barefoot Company neckbrace which is kind of light weight and not very restrictive and only like $40...lakeelmosports
This is the life
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 10:43am
They are a little more now, $69. I guess I have never heard anyone who owns one of these complain, but that clasp right up against my neck scares me. Afraid after a good fall I might come out looking like Nicole Brown Simpson.

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 10:55am
A buddy of mine (Ron Meeks) has this neck brace and has done away with the buckle. He enlarged the strap and had opposing ends stitched into the chest of his suit. With this approach he has the forward neck mobility but not so much backward mobility
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 12:04pm
Brad and I had a similar style, maybe from
Elmo? Could've been the same one. Neither lasted very long- guessing buckle failure as they both were lost to the abyss during dusk runs. I remember them being quite a bit cheaper ($30ish?). Definitely worth springing for the barefoot central one in any case.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 12:21pm
I looked that one up they get 69.99 now. So for the extra im glad i swung for the bc
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 9:17pm
$69! Geez it went up alright....but still the best priced and easiest deployed...in really harsh falls it has come off popping the buckle...but it's already done its job by filling the gap for the impact...alot of people I know think the BFC is uncomfortable and excessively restrictive.
This is the life
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:36am
I tried it out first time this weekend, I felt it was a good fit. The size i ordered was 16.5" and they sent me large. I def wont wear it 100% of the time and it will take some breaking in to get used to but its a nice piece for sure!

The only Tiff i have is holy smokes does BFC charge a lot for shipping. I thought ebay was bad but these guys take the cake for skimming off shipping and handling.
$20 to ship a tiny piece of neoprene from Texas to MA.
I was going to order a boom extension and some replacement parts but I'm just going through ebay now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic