Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jkileus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkileus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 Ski Nautique
    Posted: August-28-2015 at 2:12pm
I'm going to buy a 1979 Ski Nautique. I was wondering if it has more of a flat wake for skiing or larger wake for wake boarding?
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 2:53pm
That is probably going to get a pretty subjective answer. What wake are you used to?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
jkileus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkileus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 4:06pm
Was hoping for a flatter slalom wake.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 4:17pm
It will definitely have a nice ramp for board sports.
Regarding slalom wake, by todays tournament boat standards, no it is not very good, compared to most boats of it's same era, it has a very nice slalom wake.

See CBass' post above
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 4:51pm
Not sure how this is going to get you a rampy wake for boarding. Doesn't displace enough water. Adding a bunch a ballast will help but only marginally.

Hull is better suited to skiing than boarding IMO.

If money can't buy happiness, explain beer and boats.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 5:01pm
Can't answer why, maybe because the hull is so narrow?
Owned 2 different CC's with that hull and both had a decent wake for boarding. Never used any sort of ballast other then human either.
Sold my 80' to my neighbor and his kid used to ballast it up big time and believe me, it made a big difference.
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 5:13pm
I know the 83- 84 2001 hull produced a decent wake for boarding but of course the hull design was different.

Never got to try wake boarding back when I owned my 1979 Ski Nautique as it hadn't been invented yet!
If money can't buy happiness, explain beer and boats.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 5:14pm
I can't imagine a 90-92 NWZ is that much more expensive than a decent 1980 boat.   If I were looking for a budget ski wake, that's what I'd be looking for {:)}     I think a skier would be much happier with a NWZ hull than either a first/second gen ski, or a 2001, unless you were particularly looking for the older hull styles.   There were leaps and bounds of wake improvement through the years.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 7:24pm
I have a '79. The wake is like tripping over a coffee table. At 18-23 mph it will boot you straight up. With a pair of 400 lbs sacks it damn near collapses my knees. Not rampy at all, steep and firm with a straight up vertical kick. My kids love it.
Great to learn on. With no ballast my oldest can throw his whole bag of tricks. With ballast he just throws them bigger.
Slalom wake at 29 is OK, its better at about 32 with 80' of rope. Still better than my outboard though.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
71CCMartinique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71CCMartinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 7:33pm
At 20 mph, my 71 Martinique throws a large wake. At 28 mph it is what I consider flat. Maybe not compared to modern hull designs but I like it. Not sure if the hull design is the same or what speed you intend to board but at 22 my Martinique is a PIA due to planing. It's hard to keep at a steady speed. When I first tried boarding, in the mid 90's, the high towers or extended poles were not as common as today. Our intended speed was between 20 and 22 mph. This was a constant fight by the driver. My driver got tired of fighting the boat and picking me up so I went back to slalom. It'll run 25 and above all day at the same level which makes it good for us to ski behind. We don't run the slalom course, just a lot of cut and jump.
....and the adventure continues.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic