Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stuffing box ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stuffing box ?
    Posted: May-23-2006 at 11:31am
I'm going to tighten the stuffing box next weekend. Do you do this while the boat is floating in the water ? Please tell me if there is a way to sink the boat so I don't do that .I know how the nuts work from other posts. Also , what is a good cheap tool for the nuts so I don't have to remove the wood board to adjust ? I have a heavy fat sac enclosure in the way . Thanks for the tips ! Dan
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 2:26pm
Just make sure you do not remove the large "cap" nut and you are fine doing in the water. In fact, you really have to do it in the water to get it just right.

My vote is Monkey wrenches (adjustable smooth jaw plumbers wrenches). Might be able to get pipe wrenches through the inspection port, but not sure.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 2:36pm
This might work, would need two...

adjustable wrench

Could find the "monkey" wrench I was thinking about on the internet, I must be showing my age.
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 5:47pm
West Marine, Boater's World and the like sell a wrench specially designed for the task. I've always just used Channel-Locks.

RB
wforich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wforich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 12:14am
just don't adjust it while running down the lake - the nut will quickly unscrew itself and you'll have a gushing leak. Best have some extra safety wire to satey tie the nut once done - my wire broke at removal.
'88 Ski Nautique
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 12:30am
I did that once, had stopped the boat and after a while noticed the bulge going every 1/2 hour or so. I'll tell you the water comes in rather fast around the shaft with the cap unscrewed. You pretty much have to do it in the water, tighten it HAND tight and lock the nut, then give it a try, should drip a little. I bought the cheesy wrench's for packing glands, it's better than carrying around a pipe wrench.

I wish I had one of those packless bearings.
wormwarner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wormwarner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2006 at 1:12pm
Leave the boat on the trailer, back down into the water. Submerge trailer a little more than normal. If something goes wrong you can pull boat out quickly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic