Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with battery

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with battery
    Posted: May-13-2006 at 10:10pm
I had a bad day today on the lake . I played the stereo to long and the battery got low . Then the key broke off inside the key hole. I tried to hot wire with someone giving me a jump . I think I did somthing wrong because it died after 30 seconds.I got a tow to the marina . Here is the part I need help with , now everytime when you try to jump the battery the jumper cables get very hot . They also spark when you attact them to the boat & get hot fast , even if Im not touching the ignition wires together . No , the cables are not hooked up wrong . Did I fry my battery or my electronic ignition ? Please help , Thanks Dan
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2006 at 11:23pm
Are you referring to the jumper cables that are getting very hot? Or is it the cable from the + battery post to the solenoid? Does is get hot as soon as you connect the cables or is it when you are cranking the motor over? Have you tried a different battery? If the battery went completely dead, it could be the reason your engine died. It might have taken the alternator with it. Try a new battery and if you get it running, check the voltage across the battery terminals w/engine running. Should get 13.5 to 14.2 volts. How old is the battery? You might just want to pull it and take it to a parts store for testing. Hope this helps! Keep us posted.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2006 at 11:50pm
New battery . It's the jumper cables that get hot even if I'm not touching ignition wires together. I think it died cause I dont know how to hot wire correctly . Mabee I need to re charge battery , wire in new key ignition , then retry .Please help ,Dan
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 6:17am
If the jumper cables are getting hot even though you are not cranking the motor, your battery is either severely discharged or has shorted cells. It's drawing a very heavy load from the battery you're jumping with. Take the battery to a parts store or garage and have it tested. Of course it will need to be charged first. But it sounds like if it's drawing a very heavy load from the "jumper battery" it's going to put a very heavy load on the battery charger as well and will probably overload the charger. You might just need to get a new battery. While jumping are you sure that you are connecting the jumper cables correctly (+ to + and
- to -)?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 11:02am
Maybe you shorted out the solenoid. With the battery removed, place an electric meter across the + and - battery cable and look for continuity. If you have continuity, look for a short in the system...like at the solenoid or ignition switch.
advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 11:45pm
IF YOU ARE HEATING UP YOUR CABLES SOMETHING IS ASKING FOR AMPS/VOLTS.IS THE SOLENOID MOUNTED ON THE STARTER {GM TYPE} OR IS IT ON THE BACK OF THE ENGINE UNDER THE COVER ? [FORD TYPE} IF YOUR CABLES ARE HOT AT THE BATTERY THE SOLENOID IS ASKING FOR POWER SO YOUR SOLENOID IS PROBABLY STICKING OPEN OR WHEN YOU TRIED TO HOT WIRE IT YOU MAY HAVE CROSSED A WIRE THAT IS SENDING A SIGNAL TO THE SOLENOID TO OPEN AND IF YOUR STARTER IS BAD IT WILL CAUSE AN EXCESSIVE DRAW. I WOULD DISCONNECT THE IGNITION SWITCH AND START AT THE BATTERY AND WORK YOUR WAY FOREWARD TO THE SOLENOID, STARTER, AND CHECK ALL THOSE CABLES FIRST. AFTER GETTING IT STARTED THAT WAY INSPECT YOUR IGN. SWITCH AND MAKE SURE IT IS WIRES CORRECTLY AND IS SENDING A GOOD SIGNAL TO THE SOLENOID BEFORE ATTACHING/HOOKING IT BACK UP. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO TEST EVERYTHING WITH A 12V TEST LIGHT.CHECK FOR VOLTAGE DROPS AND HAVE YOUR BATTERY TESTED. YOU MAY HAVE ALSO BLOWN THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR SO AFTER GETTING IT RUNNING MAKE SURE THE REGULATOR IS DOING ITS JOB ALSO    GOOD LUCK
gave up sea ray life for a 77 southwind 20 project just livin the dream
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic