Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic Conversion Kit

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
78mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Conversion Kit
    Posted: April-29-2006 at 11:25am
Used Petronix P/N 1581, my marine parts catalog has applicability as "Most Prestolibe V-8 distributors." $75 shipped to lower 48 or unless you are in a dying rush.

I bought and installed the kit Jul 2005, marine parts list a the time was $128. Kit works GREAT in my 1978 CC Mustang w/ 302 marinized by Commander but I'm changing the distributor 'cause 1) it's wore slap out, very sloppy 2) can't find the CORRECT avance springs (old ones turned to rust before I got the boat) and 3) came across some mad money to purchase a marine distributor.

I have the install instructions and can pdf them to you if you want. This will work on conventional or reverse rotation engines. maxwell_mark@sbcglobal.net

regards,
Mark
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 6:42pm
What does the electronic conversion do for you?
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
78mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 7:56pm
Gets rid of the points. Thats the short answer. It is a conversion kit that replaces points "trigger" to a magnetic breakerless trigger. There is a module that screws on the breaker plate and a collar that goes on the rotor button. The module has two wires, one to 12vdc+ ignition on source and one to neg side of coil, the collar has eight (one for each cyl) triggers. Take the points out, throw in trash, install module on breaker plate, hook up wires, put collar on rotor button, put everything back together and set the timing.

It's a real good conversion IF your distributor is in good shape. Mine was trashed (distributor that is), I upgraded my trashed distributor with this conversion last year and changed the whole distributor last week, hence this upgraded kit for sale.

Hope this makes sense, sorry so long.

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 8:08pm
Good post - thanks. What's not clear to me is whether there's any other benefit to converting other than getting rid of the points. Does it make the boat run better or anything like that?
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
firefighterwes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighterwes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2006 at 11:57pm
Hey Chris I just happened to see this post and I can tell you it is well worth the money and aggrivation of never having to replace points again, and pretty well knowing your boat is gonna fire every time. Hope you decide to make this purchase. It'll be a great one.

Wes
78mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2006 at 5:43am
Sold.
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2006 at 6:53pm
Got replacement springs from the nautique dealer so now I am good to go!
getsome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getsome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2006 at 4:05pm
I tried to Email you but your address didn't work. Please get me a call 248-343-4764 thanks Matt.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic