Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bimini top

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
floppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bimini top
    Posted: February-14-2006 at 6:24pm
i am interested in buying a bimini for my 86 nautique and wondering where would be the best site to get one and anyone type perfered. thanks
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 5:47am
FWIW most marine outlets sell them.

I like the Taylor made. Many color choices and durable. Seems like the have options for added height pylons and such.

I don't remember if you get a discount with CCF at Overtons, but they donate to this site when you purchase from the link here.

SkiDim sells them too and if you use the CCF code with the link you'll get the 10% discount as well. My .02
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 10:15am
Hey Floppy, there is a guy over on Planetnautique.com selling a red bimini which
he took off an 83 SN. Should be same size as your boat. Saw it posted today, 2/15/06.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2006 at 12:30am
I have a white vinyl top, completely water proof and total shade. I just got a new one due to tower install (narrower) and have the old one for sale. I'll take $40 plus shipping if your interested. If you want new I got mine from Overton's.
Bob Ed
83 2001
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2006 at 8:34am
Does a Bimini top require drilling into the deck of the boat or is there a clamp on style ?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2006 at 9:09am
Hots,

Everyone I've seen one a ski boat you must drill into the deck or the windshield frame. BKH
Livin' the Dream

ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2006 at 9:40am
DOH' Not on my boat.Maybe i will have to wait until July to see some.Maybe i can modify one with clamps intead of holes.The thought of drilling holes in the deck does not exite me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2006 at 9:56am
I'm sure you could do a mod to clamp to the windshield frame. That would seem easier than tryng to clamp to the gunnel. BKH
Livin' the Dream

skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2006 at 12:04pm
I wouldn't drill into a windshield frame for a bimini. A bimini mounted there would put a lot of undue stress on your windshield frame when driving at high speeds, and they weren't designed to be put there any way.
I have an 87 2001. I bought the "duck" fabric bimini from Overtons, and purchased there stainless steel quick disconnect feet as well. I mounted on the boat about 3" aft of the windshield using stainless steel hardware and self locking nuts. Works great. I can remove or install the top by loosening the straps and pushing the button on the QD. I have 2 ladder brackets screwed into the wall in my garage, when I remove the top I can hang it on the wall and cover the boat for winter layup. Just a few idea's for ya!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2006 at 12:29pm
Skyhawkflyer,

I'm not a fan of the windshield mount, but that is exactly what was on my 1998 Nautique.
It worked fine, never a problem. My ex wife took the boat, and when I saw it last summer, it still had the same bimini, so I don't think it's that big a deal. What I don't like abou the window frame mount is that the surface areas of the biminis is usually not as large as the gunnel mounts. I've got a tower on my new boat, with a bimini from towerbimini.com. It is the largest most rigid bimini I've ever seen, and it mounts on the tower without the need to drill holes. BKH
Livin' the Dream

skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2006 at 2:41pm
Bk,
Probably not a big deal, I agree. On the older Nautiques with the 4 piece windshields it could loosen the framework, as these windshields are not that stout. They tend to start loosening up first right in the middle where the 2 panes meet and everybody seems to grab to hold on. The other thing is, these are aluminum frames. If you drill in there isn't much room due to the pane, and not a lot of strength. It'll work, but I like the QD option. I think it gives you a little more versatility and won't tear your boat cover should you decide to tow. Either way will work.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2006 at 9:01pm
BKH: Had mine mounted the same way on my '98. And the '03 for that matter. Never a problem and I spend lots of time going fast. This summer mounted the top on the '80 to the gunnel. Ok this year, hope it holds up. Nice of the ex to show you your old boat once in a while. Hope you return the favor and show her yours also.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 8:35am
I have seen many a boat with the bimini "leg" or support mounted to the base of the windsheild frame. However, the strap anchor points should be mounted to the deck as the straps are what take all the wind lifting loads.

Ultrahots: I too was reluctant to drill holes for the bimini, but I bit the bullet and am glad I did. Now that I have learned fiberglass, holes in the deck do not scare me as they are relatively easy to patch (unless the boat is painted). Just make sure you chamfer the screw holes to prevent spider cracking.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic