Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

carb issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
176fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 176fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carb issue
    Posted: May-22-2013 at 6:14pm
I just bought a 1997 Ski Nautique 176 with a carbed PCM 351 in it. I had been looking for one for a while and finally found one in good condition with low hours, but it seems to be having a problem with the carb. It runs great at idle and plane speeds (above 2500 rpm), but it dies out anywhere between those. Any suggestions on what might be going on and how to possibly fix it? Thanks!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 6:22pm
Does it die out when accelarating? Or just trying to cruise at those speeds?
176fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 176fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 6:33pm
I won't actually run long enough to tell the difference really. Even if it just rev it in neutral within that rpm range, it will rev then sputter and die within a few seconds.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 6:46pm
Carb novice but accelerator pump??

Signing up to see what you discover.
176fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 176fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 11:47am
The accelerator pump seems to be working. When I open the throttle, I can see it injecting fuel into the carb, but after that initial injection, it stops, which is what it is supposed to do as I understand it (but I'm not expert).
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 12:20pm
A little more specific detail on the issue. You say at idle and above 2500 but dies out anywhere in between. How does it start? How does it accelerate? Does it die on acceleration or deceleration? Has anything been done to the carb like a rebuild that you know of? If it sputters and dies out at any RPM range what are you doing to get it to planing speeds?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
176fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 176fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 7:31pm
Ok, here is a better description, maybe.

Once warmed up, it starts fine just at idle. To cold start it, I give it about half throttle, and once it fires, I immediately bring it back to idle. To get to planning speeds, I have to give it about 3/4 of full throttle to get it going without dying and then can back it off as long as I stay about about 2500 rpm. Basically, I can't slowly increase the throttle from idle because it will initially start to accelerate for a couple seconds then sputter and die.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 7:45pm
If you're getting a bad miss in a specific RPM range, I would think the culprit is probably more ignition related than fuel. If it was excessively lean or rich it would probably be affecting a wider RPM range than just around 2500 RPM. Is the carbed 351 you have a Pro Boss with the magnetic pickup distributor and the module/coil packs on the back of the engine? Could be the module is going bad.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 10:10pm
Adam,

If you just picked up the boat, I would go through it completely. Change fluids and do a complete tune up. You haven't said what ignition you have. I assume it's electronic so plugs, cap, rotor and set the timing. Then run it and see what we have for a baseline. A tune up can do wonders.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 11:16pm
Agree with both posts above.

Would the springs being totally gone from the distributor advance weights cause something like this?

Like, if it was able to advance all at once with little/no resistance?
176fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 176fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 9:41am
The engine is not a Pro Boss. The distributor sits on the top of the engine toward the front. I did just get the boat, and I am in the process of going through and doing maintenance and finding issues. I am a complete novice in DIY engine work, so it's a working progress. Thanks to everyone who is providing input, I appreciate the help.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Agree with both posts above.

Would the springs being totally gone from the distributor advance weights cause something like this?

Like, if it was able to advance all at once with little/no resistance?

I wouldn't rule out ignition or something in the carb right now. A good tune up may just fix it or at the very least rule out the ignition.

Eddie
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 10:14am
If the advance springs were broken, the weights would go to full advance & stay there. I think it would not idle nor restart well after that. You also would be getting some backfiring.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
176fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 176fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2013 at 4:33pm
I just wanted to update everyone who was providing feedback on my problem. Thank you for all of your suggestions. I've finally had the time to rebuild the carb, and that fixed all of the issues. Thanks again for all of your feedback. I'm ready to go enjoy my new toy now.

Adam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic