Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Carb, still hard starting and now hesitating.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Carb, still hard starting and now hesitating.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Carb, still hard starting and now hesitating.
    Posted: April-24-2013 at 8:00pm
Need some help. I took the stock carb apart and it didn't look too good so I just bought a new marine 4160 part# 0-80364 from Summit for my PCM 5.8. I installed it and it is still somewhat hard to start and now I have a hesitation coming out of the hole. Can someone point me to a tuning guide for this carb or give some advice? I used to be able to tune the heck out of a Quadrajet but that was 25 years ago and haven't done much with Holleys.
1991 Nautique Excel
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 8:03pm
Have you checked the timing? If so what was it?
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 8:03pm
Have you checked your timing?
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 8:03pm
Great minds!!
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 8:32pm
Yes, timing is at 10 degrees per spec.
1991 Nautique Excel
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 8:57pm
80364 is 450 cfm for a 5.0/302, you nee a 600 cfm 80319 for a 5.8/351.

I doubt though that has any bearing on you hard starts.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 10:26am
Was there a problem other than the hard starting that prompted you to remove the carb and take it apart? Is the carb the only component you changed? Did you confirm you are getting a good shot of fuel when you push the throttle wide open?
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 7:32pm
The boat had been sitting for a while before I purchased it. It was very hard starting and I was going to rebuild the carb but when I took it about it didnt look so good so I decided to replace it. I did confirm that it is getting a good shot of fuel down the primaries.
1991 Nautique Excel
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 8:48pm
That is interesting that it is the wrong CFM for the 351. Besides the hesitation is sure runs out nice.
1991 Nautique Excel
JasonR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2013 at 1:21am
Points, plugs, cap and rotor. Check the ballast resister.
'86 2001 800hrs
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2013 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by 1StopJeff 1StopJeff wrote:

...I did confirm that it is getting a good shot of fuel down the primaries.

Are you getting that shot right away?

Take up any slack in the accelerator pump adjustment screw. If the throttles are opening without that shot coming immediately, you can get a hesitation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic