NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My 1.992 billion dollar ski lake

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 1.992 billion dollar ski lake
    Posted: January-20-2006 at 12:12pm
Thats an awesome site, hope to make it there someday. A simaler government project is kerr lake Its 39 miles long and can develop very big rollers in the middle (more than a 16' mustang from the 60's ever needs to see) but with 800 miles of shoreline there are literally hundreds of ski-able coves that face in every direction I have yet to go and not be able to get perfectly calm water that I didn't have to share. The added benefit being that I can usually go sailing and skiing in the same day. I moved back to Upstate NY a few years back because here I can live on my favorite lake and still be only 7 miles from work, but every year I still put together a camping trip to North Bend Park on Kerr in Mid-May that draws 16-20 people for really cheap waterfront camping.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 11:53am
Sounds similar to the California Delta. Over 100 miles of channels througout the Central valley dug out by the Army Corps of engineers over the last 100 years. Can always find good water.

Only problem is the levies are eroding. The big offshores, motor yachts, and wakeboard boats aren't helping the matter. Oh well.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 11:47am
Just sitting at my desk day dreaming about getting wet and thought I'd share one ofmy favorite spots with you guys around the CCFan world.

The best part about it is that the Federal government used our tax dollars (1.992 Billion dollars!)to build the ultimate ski lake!
Here's some info:
"Divide Cut, a 27-mile canal that connects the Tenn-Tom with Pickwick Lake on the Tennessee River.

To build this navigation canal, which is 280 feet wide and 12 feet deep, required the removal of 150 million cubic yards of earth. Seven private contractors, using conventional equipment, completed this awesome task in less than 8 years."

The end result is a wind protected channel, with boulder lined shores that absorb boat wakes, that is an amazing 27 miles long!

If you put in and the water is crowded, then you just keep headin' south....always glassy any time of day.

I'll look for some pics later, in the mean time here's the link. Check out the construction pictures and you can see how perfect this ski lake...errr I mean shipping canal is!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic