NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Banana George Facebook photo

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banana George Facebook photo
    Posted: November-12-2012 at 7:23pm
This just showed up on my news feed today. Made me laugh and think of how awesome George is!
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2012 at 12:07am
Eric,

Somethings are forgettable, and others are not, especially him!! I did meet George when he footed for Cypress Gardens, and I still have a photo of him with my 4 kids ~ 1990 after his show, bananas and all in his yellow barefoot suit with a big smile. I think he was ~ 75 at the time and still doing high fliers. So now I got one of his Classic boats and some inspiration from him to hang on to the handle, Right Quinner??

Good luck and Best Wishes, George.

Todd

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2012 at 12:18am
Hang on to that boat Todd. What an honor to own it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2012 at 12:32am
Larry,

Thanks for your encouragement. I've got a good grip on it, and lots of family technical advice for a future restore. We enjoyed it at the 2011 CT Mini-reunion and one photo even made it into the CCF Calendar, that I am proud of. It was fun!!

Todd

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2012 at 4:04pm
Is Banana George still alive ? I met him many years ago at the gardens when I was competeing in Wakeboarding. I rode to the Gardens with Byerly, Gator and a few others on the Wake Tech team at that time. I rememer us pulling up and parking beside George in Byerly's old bomber caddy and George gave us the thumbs up. He was nice to us. Andy and Dena Maple were parking on the other side of us and Dena looked over with a scowl and said "Wakeboarders" We all laughed it was the mid 90's Wakeboarding was like a circus act at the Tours then. Lots of fun times for me back then. Fireworks fights with the Bonifay kids, People chanting Scud Scud for Darin now he is in Jail !
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2012 at 4:37pm
Still alive, last I knew. I saw a post somewhere on the internet not long ago that someone passed him on the street, being pushed along in a wheelchair, still all in yellow, but apparently very feeble. The guy stopped to talk with him and posted a picture.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2012 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Got Tiques Got Tiques wrote:

So now I got one of his Classic boats and some inspiration from him to hang on to the handle, Right Quinner??

Good luck and Best Wishes, George.

Todd

Right for sure Todd, just wish you could count past 1.....

Last time I saw BG in person was probably the late 80's early 90's when the pro tour still had their Chicago stop, he walked in front of the crowd and tossed Banana's at them, it was awesome.

Shapiro was there, he was a bull legged dude, probably even more so now, doh!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2012 at 12:29am
Quinner,

Maybe some here don't understand your humor about counting to three as to when to let go of the handle and body or butt slide, but they sure understand what a face plant, or double faceplant is!! Ouch still is the word!! But great memories. There were several bruises from that reunion and each one was worth it. I, like you (and many others) will always have special memories of Banana George and what he accomplished for the sport. A true ambassador, whom I will feebly try to emulate.

Todd

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2012 at 1:29am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Right for sure Todd, just wish you could count past 1.....

Had to laugh CQ..back in the day we would count when doing multiple barefoot runs...and all step off on 3. Took me awhile to learn that the guys were going on 2 when there was more boat speed and I was always last. So I became famous for going on the first sound I heard my brother yell...'ready..1'...and I'd be footin'.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2012 at 10:56pm
Jbear,

This was something like that!! Quinner and I had a great double barefoot run and were going to end with a butt slide or whatever into shallow water. So I said "On three" and I started to count.... one.. and Quinner face planted sooooo hard that the seismic shock took me out as well. Adult beverages for all. Can't ask for more fun than that!!

Todd

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2012 at 7:19pm

Here he is from the article in New York.
Sad to see him this way.
This is the life
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 12:40pm
wow------------------- funny stuff, yet very cool!
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 5:32pm
Was the last boat he had a Sanger ?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 6:16pm
yeah I don't think he's had time to get anything else, I think he got it around 04 but I really don't know for sure. It does have a big block as evidenced by the very high and humped doghouse.
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic