Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Cover with Tower

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Cover with Tower
    Posted: December-03-2005 at 2:50pm
Might be a dumb question, but what the heck. I'll be installing an after-market tower on my '92 SNOB some time over the winter. I currently have a nice heavy duty stock boat cover in excellent condition. What can I expect as far as having to make modifications to my cover, or am I looking at getting a new one? Any pix showing a covered boat with a tower would be great.
Thanks
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2005 at 4:53pm
Mods are kind of tricky. You need to make
slits and flaps with velcro in the cover fore
each of the four posts where the tower mounts
to the boat. The cover will need to tie
on each side, and works best if there is an
additional flap which folds up over the ropes.
If your current cover has the ties in the back, that's kind of a hassle too. For stock tower configurations, many of the cover manufacturers make covers which go around the tower out of the box. I have a hurrican which cost about $300, fits and looks great. My brother has a 98MC with aftermarket tower. He couldn't find an off the shelf which works, and so he had a custom cover made. Sunbrella fabric, reinforcement at all the contact points, and durable cinch straps for about $600 with California labor costs. We both felt it was well worth it.

If you handy with canvas and a sewing machine, you can probably do it yourself. If our mother were still with us, I'm sure she could have made the cover.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2005 at 5:52pm
Thanks BKH. Once I make the slits and flaps in the cover to work around the tower legs, I'll have to cut the tie rope and figure out a way to re-hem the cover to get the same 'draw-string' effect. Sounds like I'm talking myself into calling the local upholstery shop to get this thing done right!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2005 at 8:08pm
I can try to take a photo of mine this weekend if that will help.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 10:16am
Hey 92. Found a picture of my boat with cover. Click on my signature link below, and PM me from there. I'll send you a copy of the photo.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 2:49pm
I have a 92 snob and I put a monster tower. I have figured out my covers yet. (i have two) But it just dawned on me. what if you were to have some kind of flap sewn into your existing cover to go around the tower legs. Have someone who upolosteries do this, but cut into the cover where the tower legs are into a "U" shape deep enough to go around the pole. The rope that you pull it tight with would follow the "U" shape around the pole. On top the "U" cut out, create a velcro flap to wrap around it, sewn in at one side.

In theory, you should be able to pull it tight in the back, then velcro flap around the pole to keep water out. Probably not the ideal trailer solution, but if you trailer with a cover on, you should be shot anyways. (unless you spent $1k on some custom snap cover for it and it does not flap anywhere!)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 4:30pm
With the monster tower, can't you just fold
it down and put the cover over the top? Seems it would prop the cover up as well to keep ther water from puddling.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 4:35pm
For whatever reason, with the width of the 92 and how I placed it, it can not not fold completely flat. I tried all sorts of different mounting options and it would not fold flat. One arm sticks up just below the windshield, but farther back.. so it looks odd. The cover does go over it, but not quite the "anti puddle pole" i was looking. I keep mine the garage always, so it's not a big deal for me. If I had it on a lift on the water, i would buy a canapy instead of the canvas cover. And of course.... I would never store it outside where the sun would eat at the color, trailer who knows....   
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 4:38pm
I've looked at pix with the Monster Tower folded down and I dont think I have enough play in the cover to span the extra height. But, thats gonna be my first option, which would be nice if it does work. Second option is to attempt to just run the cover right around the tower legs, without any mods to the cover, and hope that it provides enough of a seal to keep the water out. Final option is to put the cover under the knife and hope for the best!
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2005 at 4:43pm
Mine cover does fit over it, but if it rained, it would puddle up in places and sag in for sure. I do actually put my cover one with the tower up. When the tower is up, and this is easy you do yourself if you wanted to use the knife... the front legs, measure and cut a slit for the mounts to go through. I would reenforce it will something or have it sewn. Your front is then covered with the tower up.. now, its just the back you have around the rear tower legs. I can take a picture of mine in the garage and email it to you. I havent done any mods to my cover.. but you can see where you could cut it for the front to poke through.... again though.. cavas makers are magicians.. I would stick to the pros if you have a couple bucks so he/she could modify it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic