NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rollers or Bunks?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rollers or Bunks?
    Posted: October-06-2005 at 11:33pm
Hi,

I have an trailer that I am refurbishing and thought it was time to ask the question. Rollers or Bunks?

It's a 1981 Ski Nautique, someone had advised me that rollers would cause pressure points on the hull.

Any thoughts on this?
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2005 at 11:40pm
Bunks all the way....wouldn't even consider rollers. Just line it up and drive it on! One of my favorite parts of boating is the look on other boaters faces when you drive right on the trailer, while they struggle forever to line up on their rollers. Gotta love those Nautiques!!!!!!

Rleinen
1997 SNOB
Cape Cod CC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2005 at 11:57pm
Hello,

I was going to reply to the post but rlienen79 said it all...

"Just line it up and drive it on!"

Vince
Cape Cod CC
Cape Cod
1980 SN

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2005 at 12:07am
Markb...

Thats what everyone will say!Bunks!...no need to change what really works well!!!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2005 at 12:23am
Since we are on the subject, what are some of you using to cover the bunks? The carpet on mine leaves a lot of marks on the hull.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2005 at 1:08am
I was kind of hoping for a bit more in depth discussion of why bunks are better than rollers etc but I'm patient :-)

I'm more than likely not going to change but I thought it could be worth a discussion on the merits of both.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2005 at 1:35am
Lake...use bunk carpet. It is less resistant...boat will slide on easy!Very inexpensive too.

Bunks...I can give two reasons why I think they are better.
1.Bunks are forgiving...just drive in towards the middle and you are guided right in...it is easy to get squared up.
2.Rollers...if you forget to hook the wench to the bow and pull up on a steep ramp...where do you think the boat will wind up!I have seen it happen!
Just my 2 cents worth.
stang

The Super Air

markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2005 at 3:11am

BUnks it is then :-)
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2005 at 9:07am
Hey Stang,
If I use bunk carpet is there a danger the boat slides off coming up the ramp? In other words, my eye hook is weak and I don't hook it up to load and unload, I only trailer the boat about 200 yards to the ramp.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2005 at 9:10am
Oh, and by the way, I have used roller trailers before, no comparrison, with bunks the whole process is as simple as using a boat lift.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2005 at 11:17am
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

Since we are on the subject, what are some of you using to cover the bunks? The carpet on mine leaves a lot of marks on the hull.

My thoughts are that bunk carpet can become abrasive if sand/debris is allowed to settle on the bunks when off loading/loading on sandy bottom lakes. When backing off the trailer, the prop can kick up sand which then settles on the bunks. This sand then turns the bunks into sand paper.

So, my suggestion is to back the boat trailer in deep enough to avoid having to use a lot of power to get the boat off the trailer. Or even push it off if feasible.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2005 at 11:58am
Lake...boat slides easier than other carpets when wet, but still the weight of the boat keeps it from sliding back...however, I would use caution on any steep ramps and have the boat hooked up.
stang

The Super Air

Mojo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2005 at 4:09pm
For what it's worth,
I have bunks on my 26 foot Cobalt trailer. When I first got the boat, I was thinking this will never work, but to my suprise they do..

I pull that monster out ever weekend and when the bunks are wet, not a problem.. And Stang is right, the boat centers very easy..

Moj'
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2005 at 2:47am
Got me beat.The look on boaters face when it takes 10 seconds to drive on and pull it out of the water.The people just stare as i just sit in the boat as we drive right out of the lot.
ty View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2005 at 11:53pm
I have had both kinds of trailers and I prefer bunks also I have about 10 different brands of inbaords and the biggest problem I have run it to is the boat like to drift from side to side on the roller trailers mostly ski boats due to the lack of dead rise to seat them low in the rollers pull it out and dang its sitting on the water intake I have just bought a bender to make Alumnium trailers for a new hobby and they will be bunk trailers.My Shamrock and Penn Yan all were pains to get on the roller trailers also.FYI I just read a psot on another sight dont put Alumnium or Galv up against treated wood it is very corosive maybe you have replaced your boards and wonder why your lags didnt last long all bunks make them out of Cypress and non rubber backed bunk carpet so it can breathe amd they last for many yrs !
vettjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vettjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2005 at 5:40pm
Hi, I read your discussion about rollers or bunk. When you can submerge your trailer, bunks are the best. But here in Belgium we have practicle no ramps where you can submerge your trailer so we have to use rollers. 99% of the trailers are rollers here and we load also the boat in 10min or less. When you have enough rollers there will be no marks on the hull. with bunks there can be some marks on the hull when your carpet is dirty. But you are right when you can submerge your trailer and float of the boat bunks is the best way to load and unload.
Only when you come to a ramp where the water meets the end of the ramp you will have a problem with bunks or do you have all long ramps?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic