Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Have you seen this rudder?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you seen this rudder?
    Posted: September-17-2005 at 1:39am
I have been looking for an exact replacement for this rudder off a southwind 20 without sucess. The replacement at skdim is not the same. This is a 1 1/8 shaft vs 1. Note the square at the top of the shaft. If you know where to get this new or used please let me know. I noticed the break when I was checking the prop numbers. See the angle of the shaft. Thanks!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2005 at 12:29pm
That rudder looks like a PITA to turn under power.
The ski-boat style rudders have material forward of the shaft to counter the torque. Perhaps consider it if the thing is a bear to turn and there is clearance for one.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2005 at 3:14pm
What part of the picture leads you to this conclusion? What part looks not right? You are very correct, it drives like a tank but I just thought that was the way this style boat drives. You have to turn and then hit the gas and it dives into the turn. If you just try to turn at speed it takes half the lake to turn around. I was looking at this one, similiar but not exact. What do you think?

Rudder
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2005 at 8:11pm
I wouldn't pursue exact, even if you remidied the 15 degree or so bend that thing has.

The new one is better, more blade ahead of the shaft.

I don't think it will solve the boat's slow responce but at least it should help reduce steering effort some.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2005 at 7:02pm
Try Buck Algonquin marine hardware
(302) 659 6900
www.buckalgonquin.com
They make the fins and other underwater gear for all correct craft boats , they were the OEM supplier.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic