Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rear main seal 82 2001 leaking

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear main seal 82 2001 leaking
    Posted: July-21-2011 at 11:53pm
So I've been told to "maybe" pull the motor on a 82 nautique to replace the main seal. I have decided to pull the motor and tranny and do this the right way. The problem seems to be that I cannot find the rear main seal anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find the seal as it appears the Felpro version 17748 for a reverse rotation is extinct. The motor is an 82 351 w right hand prop rotation viewed from rear with left hand crank rotation viewed from bow. It seems odd that I cannot find the seal anywhere. So it appears that I need to replace the entire motor because I cannot find a 30.00 part. Typical Ford. Seriously if anyone knows where I can get the parts please let me know. Thanks in advance. I've tried "skidim " , local autoparts stores and other online felpro dealers.
stan082
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 12:39am
Welcome to CCfan. If I'm wrong someone will give me hell. 1982 is a normal 2 peice rear main seal and the crankshaft has reverse rotation knurling cut into it for oil control. It's not a special seal.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 12:42am
Hard to believe skidim did not have it? I need one for my 83. Keep me posted on where you find it
83Ski
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 5:47pm
Just got back from orlando correct craft and found the gasket there. We determined the motor is a right hand rotation. So do I need a " special " seal or can I use an automotive seal as the price quoted was 110.00 for the rear main seal alone. I will also be doing the pan gasket, and front main seall. With a total of about 300.00 in seals and gasket. Thats highway robbery. I'd rather go to autozone if i new the gaskets and seals would work. Anymore thoughts. Thanks
stan082
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 6:36pm
Did you google felpro 17748? Seems to be some there.Can't really blame Ford,they have been out of the marine business for awhile.I have heard they are becomming scarce.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 9:04pm
$110- must be the one piece seal thats pretty much what they go for.
"If" you have the one peice block thats the part you need.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 9:12pm
I was wondering the one piece seal too. My Dads late 70's lefty PCM is a one piece,but I know it's not the original block.If your not the original owner,you don't know what you have until you look.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 12:37am
Yes I did google the fel pro number 17748. No luck from skidim or any other online source as they seem to be backordered or no longer in production. That number is where I started with this search.. Thanks
stan082
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 12:40am
No the 82 is a 2 piece. It just seems like an extreamly hi price to pay 100.00 or more for some rear seals. It's o.k. though as long as I can get the part.
stan082
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 12:46am
Thanks for the response. It is a 2 piece and I am the original owner and the motor has never been opened up. I think at this point I'm stuck with the correct craft price of 110 for the main seal . A bit hi but as long as I can get this done I'm o.k. with it. I guess?
stan082
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 12:49am
The 11748 is a good number however it is not available from any online source.
stan082
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 12:57am
Sorry I'm not really blaming Ford I just got frusrtated as I'm a small block chevy guy and I was having a hard time with the rotation of the motor. The rotation is RH as the pully's rotate to the the right if viewing from the rear. It's been quite confusing.
stan082
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 3:17am
If you have a two piece seal, and wick lines on the crank all you need is a $15 seal from NAPA. I bought a two piece "marine" seal from skidim years ago and opened it up and it had the same Ford number stamped in the rubber that you could get for a car from NAPA. Nothing special about it. I thought around 1980 is when Ford went to the one piece seal, which the crank is smooth and the seal has the wick/directional lines, which case you would need a specific seal. But it's not uncommon for a boat to be one year and the block and heads to be a year or so older. My '66 Mustang had a 64 block and 65 heads. I was told back in the early days they bought left over stock and used it. Casting numbers like C6 on a block stands for 66, and D6 would be 76 and so on.

Wick lines on a crank for a two piece seal.

Tim D
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 10:01am
I did a google search for 351w crankshaft seals and it was inconclusive as to the year Ford switched to the one piece seal. I think it's in my "How to bebuild smll block Fords" thou.
2 peice seals are much cheaper. It's important to have the crank knurled surface clean and free from corrosion (rust) when installing the 2 peice seal. Slide the block half in by turning the crank and DON'T line up the ends with the block, leave about 1/8 - 1/4 sticking out on one side and put a dab of BLACK RTV on the ends.

Thread jack -
Tim did you copy the Silver Nautique decals? I'd like to replace a couple of my letters. (If thats possible???)

OK back to your regular programing.

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 1:09pm
Thanks for all the info. We will be doing this in a few days when we get all our parts.
Thanks again
Stan
stan082
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 1:13pm
Oh yea I forgot to say It's definatley a 2 piece seal and Correct Craft does want 110.00 for it.A bit hi.
stan082
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 10:47pm
This is a stupid question but after I pull the motor and tranny how do I seperate the two ? Can I just seperate from the " bell housing " and block or do I seperate from the tranny and " bell housing I'm, used to working with torque converters
stan082
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 6:40pm
Stan, I hope you'll document this project with pictures. My 88 has a leaking rear main seal too. I'm a mechanical idiot, but i'd try this in the offseason if pics were available.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 7:58pm
Yea I wish I would of taken some shots, however Im' a photographer by trade so I don't like taking my work home with me. Don't quote me on this because we don't want to upset the gp's but the 88 rear seal might be handled a bit different than the 82 two piece as yours I believe will have the 1 piece seal in there. Email me anytime and I'll give you any info you can use. I'm just now getting the tranny bolted up and will be ready to drop the motor back in the boat soon. With the 88 you might not have to pull the motor and tranny to get the job done.
stan082
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic