Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can’t get steering wheel off ’73 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mustang fan View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can’t get steering wheel off ’73 Mustang
    Posted: March-13-2004 at 8:32pm
I have a 1973 CC Mustang. The steering wheel has about 1 inch play in it. That is when pushing between dash and drivers seat - not when steering from left to right. The movement is between the steering wheel and the shaft.

How does the steering wheel come off??

I have tried to pry the cap off the center of the steering wheel with no success. I don't want to bend or scratch anything because I don't know how or where to apply force. My guess is that there is a nut to tighten under the chrome cap in the center of the steering wheel.
Thanks for any help.
Pictures:
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2004 at 10:07pm
there should be a semi-circular clip that holds the center 'button' on with the single nut underneath on a tapered shaft.

looks like it's trashed from here. you might just order a new helm and cut it off.

Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2004 at 11:25pm
Inside the rim of the center button you will find a c clip. It is a wire that is in a grove just inside the rim. After you remove it the center cap can be removed. From there you can unscrew the screws that hold the spokes on. Then get a wheeh puller and pull the hub Good luck
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2004 at 11:33pm
Here is your image with the location of the c clip
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2004 at 1:08am
And if you still can't get that wheel off, call Dan, at either 704-663-2675 or 704-400-3116, as he JUST educated himself on pulling this same piece off of a '72 Mustang. And then please post some pictures of this rare black interior boat.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2004 at 6:45pm
just kiding about cutting it off. i missed the smile button.

there are some nice blow up/exploded view drawings on the teleflex sight and the reference section here has an instalation guide.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic