Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft Alignment and Cutlass Bearing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1989SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft Alignment and Cutlass Bearing
    Posted: June-10-2011 at 12:40am
Hi everybody!

I recently performed an alignment on my boat, it was pretty far out. I called the PO and he hadn't checked it in several years of ownership, so I don't know how long its been out of alignment. When I bought it, the prop would turn fairly easy by hand, I could even grasp the shaft and turn it with one hand, so I didn't think much of it. After performing the alignment, I can spin the prop with one finger, and it will continue rotating for about a full revolution after I let go. Much better.

However, I went to install my new acme 470 today, as per Pete's "proper prop installation" thread (thanks, Pete!), and after completing it, I noticed some play in my cutlass bearing. I haven't put a dial indicator on it, but I'd guess its in the neighborhood of .01-.02 of total play.

Now, I know the rule of thumb is if you can feel any play, replace the bearing. However, I'd really like to go boating this weekend, and parts from skidim won't be here for a couple days. Is this something I need to replace ASAP? What kind of damage can be caused from running a few hours with a worn out cutlass bearing?

For what its worth, there was no noticeable play before I fixed the alignment, I guess the shaft was pulled tight in the cutlass by the trans coupling being out of place. Now that its aligned, the play is noticeable.

Thanks again,

TJ
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 3:48am
I think you'll have your answer right after it's warmed up. I'd say use it if the vibration is minimal. I'd also ask Eric what to watch for in your situation.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic