NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how to shoulder ride?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to shoulder ride?
    Posted: January-18-2011 at 3:09am
well not sure I could fit into them anymore...probably couldn't carry Doreen either! Hey..Double/Doubles encore too! LOL.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 1:11am
John: The pink outfits are still up in the attic above my garage...I could dig them out for an encore!
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2011 at 9:46am
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

No reason. They are just advertising the different styles/lengths that they offer

Duh. I thought those were your skis as blanks.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2011 at 2:52am
never used those wide wood ones..always used my jumpers. In the adagio picture you can just see the white tips of my EP's. Still got them up in the attic of the garage. Skied lots of doubles, adagio, double/triple and pyramids. Actually used them once in a while to jump as well!

john

"Loud pipes save lives"

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2011 at 2:45am
No reason. They are just advertising the different styles/lengths that they offer
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2011 at 1:51am

Graphic...   

You will hate your life with a pair of skis like that. Not saying it isn't possible of course, almost anything is. But, it will not be easy. Here's what we ski on, as most double's people do:

Why is one longer than the other?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 11:59pm
Sorry for my poor typing my phone thinks it knows what I want to say.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 11:56pm

You know I'm not sure what those are but. You dad has a huge pair of mahogany boards have uses for strap doubles and basing pyramids.

Mahogny makes sense in the water, If those are hickory they would be very strong, same wood as ax handles.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Hollywood, that's a heck of a feat those people are doing on that aquaplane given the rough water.

Anyone ever have an aquaplane? We did for years and it was the first step towards learning to ski. It was just like that one.

My dad and I made one, guessed on dimensions, put two scags on the bottom. Used and old nylon rope and a piece of broomstsick for the handle. Threw some sand in the paint on top. worked ok. Finally threw it out about 7 years ago.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 11:52pm
You know I'm not sure what those are but. You dad has a huge pair of mahogany boards have uses for strap doubles and basing pyramids.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 11:50pm

Graphic...   

You will hate your life with a pair of skis like that. Not saying it isn't possible of course, almost anything is. But, it will not be easy. Here's what we ski on, as most double's people do:

Are those hickory?
1987 Ski Nautique

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 11:33am
You can also try www.skiitagain.com
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 12:43am
The girl I am carrying is Doreen Schotz. She must be about 16 in this picture. The guy with me is Gary Fougerouse. Gotta love the pink outfits.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 7:36pm
Lake Elmo is probably your best bet...they are expensive so don't get too scared when you see the price lol The 68" would be the best for your application.

Lake Elmo Show Boards

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 7:33pm
Where do you get those skis? We used to have an antique pair like that and they were the best teaching skis and just a great pair for combo skiing.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 7:23pm
Graphic...   

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 7:19pm
Nice, thanks for the advice and pics guys. I was thinking about giving it a shot with a pair of these that we have for beginners, they are pretty wide:

Oh and I don't see a problem *getting up* with her in the nekkid bacerds position
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I still touch the girl on my shoulders. She lives within an hour of me and a few years ago, she said she might be willing to get a shot again. I havent seen her since the mid 80s. Might have to try to get her down this summer Or maybe Ken. She like me, is older now,(funny how that works) be pretty for a 55 year old woman to give a shot.

I sure hope your wife doesn't lurk here...

Larry, that is a pretty horrific picture. Who are those people?

Cirque de Soliel or Ninjas.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 2:37pm
Our aquaplane used hemp rope for the tow line and for the handle line. It would give you a wicked rope burn if you got caught up in it.

Larry, that is a pretty horrific picture. Who are those people?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 2:12pm

Anyone ever have an aquaplane? We did for years and it was the first step towards learning to ski. It was just like that one.

I dug one out from underneath my uncle's camp one summer. I was riding on it, pulling back quite hard and the rope to the boat snapped. The board came up and whacked me in the forehead and split it open. Have you ever seen headwounds bleed, especially when diluted with lake water? The sheriff ("POPS"---he was 100 if he was a day...used to stop us all the time for one thing or another. But we got along ok, in fact we stopped and helped him get his old evinrude started one day when he was stranded) stopped and asked if I was ok. Of course my friend in the boat was "Oh yea, he's fine....no problem here"

Hollywood: Thanks for the impressed and sorry about the disgusted part. Found that photo a while ago, just waiting for an opportunity.
I still am in touch with the girl on my shoulders on vary rare ocassions. She lives within an hour of me and a few years ago, she said she might be willing to give that a shot again. I havent seen her since the mid 80s. Might have to try to get her down to the lake this summer. Or maybe over to Ken's Lake as she lives a few miles from there. She like me, is older now,(funny how that works) be pretty cool for a 55 year old woman to give that a shot.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 2:08pm
We have a Ski Skimmer. It's the best way to get kids behind the boat standing up. We had my buddy's son in one of our home shows on the skimmer long line (about 40'). I think he was just under 2 years old.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 2:02pm
Hollywood, that's a heck of a feat those people are doing on that aquaplane given the rough water.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 1:50pm
I went from impressed to disgusted at your post Larry.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 11:58am
Or you can kick it up a notch. Me and a classmate, 1977

There was a Wiki-leak that the PLBC boys are working on a human ski rope line. Here they are doing dry-land training for it.

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 10:42am
That's crazy Tull. Never heard that before!!! A girl that skis for Wonderlake I believe swiveled, then went around the boat on her swiv ski, then stepped off the same ski in the same act. That was pretty sweet.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 10:38am
Nice form John. Who's the babe in your arms?
We were at Nationals, in Waterloo Iowa a few years back, where I saw a couple in the Adagio competition. They did a nice routine, and then as they make the final loop to head back to shore, the guy steps off his show boards and brings the girl in barefoot. The crowd went nuts. The funny thing was, the same guy entered the swivel competition. Only time I've seen a guy entered in swivels. He probably had the best routine, and then stepped off his swivel ski and came to shore barefoot. He came in second. I think he would have taken first, but I don't think the judges would let a guy win a swivels competition.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 12:59am

another favorite..the cradle. bringing home an act called adagio. yes that is me on the right with brown hair, so you know how old this pic is (80's)
gotta love show skiing...

"Loud pipes save lives"

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2011 at 8:52pm
Look at Hollywood, creepin on the wives.   
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2011 at 8:50pm
I'll teach your wife and quinner will ride your shoulders so you can learn the start.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2011 at 7:22pm
Flight and Yankee tickets and I'll bring my "boards" out for you to take the wife on a shoulder ride!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic