Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Ski for me?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Ski for me?
    Posted: June-16-2010 at 10:53pm
Which ski for me?   

I've been out of skiing since about 2002. Is their a place I can learn about choosing a slalom ski? Can some one give me recomendations? I'm 5'11" and 200# I'd call my self an agressive intermediate 10 yrs ago but I've never spent much time on a slalom course. I'm looking for a fun ski that I can get back out and enjoy carving up the water. Used would be ok ~ I'm more intersted in basics of design to what makes a good ski as opposed to what new flashy gizmo will impress my friends.     

I'm 37 and looking to get back out their. Last summer I got to ski 3 times behind a friends little 4-cyl Regal 17' with chewed prop) I can still get up with both feet in the binders. Certinly tire out way too fast but I can work on that.   I've been Skiing on Slalom for better then 20 yrs but most of that has been behind a 1973 Glasstron 19' outboard run-about just running around the river. My Slalom ski is from pair of aluminium top Kidder Hotline combos from 1985. I've only had a chance to try skiing a course 2 or 3 times (Some one else's palce / boat / ski). When I was in my 20's I fell like I was in good form as I could stretch out and lay all the way over sort of had that feeling like I could drive the boat from the rope handle... Pulling it around as i cut.

I'm working to finish my Dixie 299 inboard ski boat and should hear it run next week. Now I'm thinking I need to look for a good ski.

Thanks,
                          Michael

Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 12:53am
It might be a good idea to pick up a couple of mail order catalogs and flip through them to get an idea of what is out there. Some have some pretty good descriptions of how the ski performs. Then you may want to check out ebay or skiitagain.com and look for a good used ski for a couple of hundred. Many of the companies seem to keep the same molds and just change graphics. Once a ski is a few years old, the price really drops.
Then get out there and see how you do for the summer, if you are still into it, then consider upgrading to a newer ski. You will be able to get some ideas on length and how you ski without risking much money. Dont get discouraged, getting back into ski shape is going to cause some sore muscles and hopefully a few blisters! Have fun!
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 12:59am
Get one that is made for your level of skiing. You can spend $$$ designed for someone that can run in the serious line off level and you won't be comfortable on it. It will be too aggressive. If possible see if you can try someone ski or if a local shop has a demo day. Catalogs like Overtons will give a description of and an approximate level of skier for every slalom ski the sell. Remember some the greatest skiers of the past didn't have the technology of today and still managed to set records. Once you progress you may outgrow the ski and have to move on.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 1:23am
Are a front and rear binding an unusual thing?

I always start with both feet in ~ I'm not finding any locally with bindings front & rear. I assume I can drill and place a rear binding. But I've yet to ski one I just remember how I always hated the toe hole style.

I see lots of WIDE skis on ebay / overtons ~ They look like they fun ~ but I can't imagine they'd be very fast.   
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 1:32am

HO Sports Mach 1 ~ THis is really in the ad *** No Skill required ~ And they think that would make some one want to buy this ski?

This recreational ski has a time-tested tunnel bottom design that assists with deep water starts and provides an extra stable ride. Turns easily with no skill required

Michael ....    

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 1:39am
Looks like you've gotta crest the $350 mark @ overtons before the advertising changes to quit raving about how easy they are to ride and start.

I need to catch up with some one who has a few good skis and get a feel of what the difference is. Maybe just reffesh the bindings on the old combo Slalom for this week while keeping a watchful eye on craigs list.
Michael ....    

lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 2:46am
I bought my first ski back in 2007 used off ebay, model year 2005 HO Sports Burner 67" great ski getting up and working on form, last year I needed to upgrade bought 2007 model year HO Nitro size 69" for weight and height and my skills have improved. Maybe in a year or so I might go back to a 67" depending on my performance and form.

I sold my dad my old ski for 200, I have double boot setup on both of them but took the rear boot and put toe hold for my father back on the Burner.

Def try to get a demo from a ski shop, thats how i tried the Nitro before i bought it.
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 3:26pm
I am 6'4" 215lbs. I splurged last summer and purchased an HO Triumph 71". This is a great ski for what you're describing....aggressive intermediate, that's me as well.

Previous to that, I had been skiing on an older HO Extreme 67"(white with hot pink squares) and over the past three seasons, my back would be killing me for several days after.

I really like this new ski. It is sized more appropriately for me and much more forgiving. Cuts on a dime.

Also upgraded to double high wrap boots which is taking some getting used to bu in the end, I think I'm really starting to like it.
Doug
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 3:56pm
Keep in mind a double boot or starting with both feet in bindings will create more drag on your start-up, hence a slower pull. Look for a ski that is a minimum of 68". In the HO line the Vengance is a really nice ski, it's quite a bit faster then a Triumph yet ski's well in choppier water, is stable when just going straight and has enough body that the starts are easy. You should be able to find a used Vengance w/bindings for $100-$200.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 9:07pm
Well, after blowing out my late 80's HO ceramic ski binding last week I too was in the market for a new updated ski. I figured I could get a used ski for the price of new/used bindings. After attending the Masters this year I feel the urge to strap the slalom back on my feet more frequently. I did some looking round the net and after a chat with lfskizzer I bought a used HO Burner off Craigslist here in Atl for $150. I'm off on vacation for week and I'm anxious to go for a ride. I'm no course runner but do enjoy the rush of cutting back and forth on glassy water. Could also use the workout that comes with it.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 10:13pm
I have used Wileys double wrap bindings for many years. They are made out of real rubber and will last for many years. They offer a few different plate designs to fit most skis. i just made the switch to a hardshell, due to an ankle injury, and after a few weeks I am finally geting used to it. It really gives good ankle support.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 12:06pm
Just an update on the HO Burner I bought used. Kim and I went out Sunday on a busy lake as I was itching to use the the new ski. Lake finally calmed down somewhat and Kim was a little nervous driving the boat at 28mph on a lake that was still pretty busy. I thought the ski performed well considering the conditions.

Went back yesterday with almost ideal conditons with a slight breeze and maybe 2 boats on the water besides us. At 5'10 and 175lbs I love the ski. The boot is an XL and I have size 11 feet ( well one of them anyway) and it felt like the XL's may be a tad big. I had to use my wakeboard rope as the slalom rope broke (any suggestions?) last time I used it ( just ask ReidP). Kim loved driving the boat @ 30mph and I had a ball back there riding the ski. I may need to tune the ski as I seem to be riding a little tail heavy but it's been so long since I slalomed hard my body position may be to far back. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone locally who slalom's so pointers are going to have to come from you guys. The ski is set at factory settings I believe so I may just play with the adjustments to see if I can tell any difference being a freerider.

Anyway, bottom line is that I'm pleased with the ski and look forward to getting into slalom skiing again.Thanks for the recommendation Phil.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic