Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bigcity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigcity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maintenance
    Posted: April-16-2010 at 4:10pm
Just wanted to get feedback from the experts. I am just getting my 94 Ski ready to launch and was going to change leeds. I purchase some Ford racing leeds from summit and looking to swap over for the existing PCM / any issues?

Also the only other thing I had not done at the end of the year was the impeller. I have general idea as to how to but would appreciste any advise. It looks a little tricky as to how to get to housing etc.

Thanks for the help.
BIGCITY
My Baby !!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Bigcity Bigcity wrote:

was going to change leeds.

Change what?
Bigcity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigcity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 4:18pm
Spark plug leeds and impeller.
BIGCITY
My Baby !!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 4:26pm
Ive never heard the term "leeds" before. Down here we call them plug wires.

The issue with some automotive wires is the length- even if the terminals match what you have, many automotive wires will be shorter than marine, as they are intended to drape over the valve covers rather than route down and around the exhaust manifolds. I would recommend getting a marine set for this reason- or buy a universal kit (Ive use Taylor Spiro Pro from summit) and terminate them yourself.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 8:43pm
Tim got you covered on the "leeds", as for the impeller, really not that tricky, just make sure to mark the pump position before removing it(water entry and exit), cause it can then be mounted reversed, causing poor flow.
MAke sure to replace all gaskets and o-rings allong with the impeller, these items normally come in the impeller kit.

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Bigcity Bigcity wrote:

Spark plug leeds and impeller.

Change the plug wires one at a time!   
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 12:29am
I got a plug wire set from NAPA for a Ford F150, mid 80's. Plug wires were actually too long. I shortened a couple of them up.

Here is another tip: When you replace your impeller, prime it with some water just before hooking up the upper hose. I put some soap on the impeller when getting things ready a few days before installation, & it still squealled for the 1st 10 seconds at startup (dry). Not the sound I wanted to hear!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
maboating123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maboating123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 11:50am
You will know if you put the impeller in backwards when you start the engine. Watch your water temp gauge!! I learned the hard way.... I didn't blow the engine, but I sure got excited when the temp spiked.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I put some soap on the impeller when getting things ready a few days before installation, & it still squealled for the 1st 10 seconds at startup (dry). Not the sound I wanted to hear!

I use tire dressing... slippery silicone stuff. never get any squealing with that stuff on it.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I got a plug wire set from NAPA for a Ford F150, mid 80's. Plug wires were actually too long. I shortened a couple of them up.

Here is another tip: When you replace your impeller, prime it with some water just before hooking up the upper hose. I put some soap on the impeller when getting things ready a few days before installation, & it still squealled for the 1st 10 seconds at startup (dry). Not the sound I wanted to hear!

Never seize works good too.

Tim

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic