NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trailer brakes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer brakes
    Posted: March-30-2010 at 2:00am
The real question do I need them? I have 97 master craft trailer hauling a 85 2001 ( I know it must be a sin ) It is dual axle. I don't think the brakes work on the trailer, and don't know how to fix. I have 3500 chevy diesel pulling it and has not really been a problem but was wondering about and 99 4 runner any thoughts would be good . How do you test the brakes, they are drum? Any way of trouble shooting them ?   
thanks for all the help
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 10:58am
Dan - Jack one side up off the ground.

Attach your hitch ball connector (sorry, the correct name eludes me) to the trailer. Spin up the wheel(s) that have the brake(s). Push down on the connector to actuate the master cylinder.

CCF site will always recommend safety equipment be repaired to good working condition. So I don't think anyone will be giving you an OK to leave the brakes inoperable.

They aren't hard to fix - figure on about $250 for parts worst case.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 11:28am
If you're pulling it with that 1 ton Chevy...fogettaboutit. It'd stop it fine. The 4 runner probably doesn't have as heavy of brakes, but for 99% of the time would be fine. But the bad thing is you'll never know when that 1% might be coming up.

I feel people always want a yes/no answer on trailer brakes. It's not like there is a rule that says "yep you need them" or "nope you don't". It's just a fact that with trailer brakes you'll be able to stop quicker and probably save your vehicles brakes from some wear. Heck with no brakes on your vehicle you'll still eventually stop, it may just take longer.

My personal take is that it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 11:38am
The Chevy can handle it no problem. As for the 4 Runner I wouldn't take that bet. When you need to stop you may not be able to. Also the trailer may steer the rear of the Toyota. My best advice is to just get the brakes fixed it will cost less than repairs on the tow vehicles.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 11:43am
The chevy has not been a problem. As for trouble shooting I did not know where to start. I took a wheel off and the drum was pretty much stuck on there. It has been a while since I messed w/ any drum brakes but the drum should come right off after taking the wheel off right ?
thanks again ... I will take it to the shop if I can't find anything
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 8:17pm
Dan - To get the drum off you may have to back off on the adjusters. But they are probably rusted too. In such a case I have used a slide hammer to force the drum off.    If the wheel cylinders are seized, you can get replacement backing plate assemblies very reasonably - they have stainless steel hardware & aluminum wheel cylinders, it's definately the way to go.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2010 at 11:12pm
What you need to do is see if your State requires them,dosn't matter if the truck will handle it or not.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic