NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Allingnment??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
xjglen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allingnment??
    Posted: July-07-2009 at 3:52pm
Sorry for all the question today but I guess I'm a NOOBE.
I've looked at Erick's alignment post and I have some questions--
-Do I need to remove the prop...wouldn't the weight of the prop cause the shaft to cock in the cutlass bushing or is everything so tight it's not a problem??
-If the motor was out of alignment wouldn't it wear the cutlass in an uneven way?
93 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 8:03pm
Welcome to the site!

Short answers are no, prop will not deflect the shaft at all.

Yes, if motor is out of alignment, then the cutlass bearing will have accelerated wear, but that is cheap to replace.   It is the wear on the transmission that is the big concern. It is best to check alignment at least 1 per year, or anytime you hit something.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
xjglen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 9:11pm
I just checked it, and it seems pretty good. Which is a bonus because I don't have a wrench big enough for the rear lock nuts and the fronts are at the lowest point. It was actually surprising how good it was. I can't get the .003 feeler gauge in anywhere...and yes I did separate the flanges then I pushed them back together and checked. It was all pretty straight forward, I think unless I missed something.
Thanks for the help.
93 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic